Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Encore barrel problem? >

Encore barrel problem?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore barrel problem?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Spike

Default Encore barrel problem?

Hey guys,

I couldn't shoot today, but I bought some Hornady SST's in 250 and 300 gr., also found some 300 gr. shockwaves. Upon cleaning my barrel I noticed the front ram-rod bracket was kind of cock eyed. It wasn't resting flush with the barrel. I was able to move it with finger pressure. After unscrewing both brackets I noticed they both are contoured to fit tight under the barrel. The front one has a ring of metal raised around the screw hole. IfI were to grind it flush, their wouldn't be enough material to hold the bracket by the head of the screw. I don't think this is supposed to be this way!Is it possible that this could be causing some of my accuracy problems from vibration? Also do you guys shoot with your ram-rods in place under the barrel? Thanks, DREW

Old 11-02-2007, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Encore barrel problem?

I would seriously doubt a loose ferrule would cause much of an accuracy issue. Just align them and tighten them back up. Think what you are seeing is normal and allows that ferrule to pivot a little - probably saves the screw threads if folks aren't careful when reinserting the rod.

Yes,I shoot with ramrod in place as that is where it will be while hunting.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

i also shoot and hunt with the ramrod in place.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 AM
Spike

i dont think that will hurt accuracy, i also hunt with ramrod in place, makes it possible for a second shot
Old 11-03-2007, 01:22 PM

My Knight rod doesn't screw into the stock when it is put away. Will this continue to loosen up as time goes by? Is there a way to secure it in better? It is a Bighorn .50.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

jm, do you mean it is loose when inserted? If so, there is probably a spring inside the barrel channel on that stock. Try compressing the spring a bit to make it taller or put something under the loose end of the spring to elevate it a little.