Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new to muzzleloaders >

new to muzzleloaders

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new to muzzleloaders

Old 10-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default new to muzzleloaders

if you could recommend a riflle for a beginner, what would it be? I was looking at the TC omega z5 or CVA optima, both with thumbholes.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: new to muzzleloaders

What kind of shooting are you going to be doing Hurley? Is there any laws that restrict powers, projectiles, ignition systems where you hunt?

Since you want a thumbhole stock, I am not sure if the Omega Z5 comes with that. That might be an extra you need to purchase. Although I will not swear to that fact. I guess of the two listed I would get the Thompson Center. I would load it with 100 grains of powder and a 250 grain Shockwave and go shoot it.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad, Our Walmart here in the little bitty town of Heber Springs has them, I was handling one, they have a high comb like the Triumph for scopes,Iron sights might be a bit difficult. Lee
Old 10-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

deer hunting. only laws I could find was no telescopic lens, must load through the muzzle and the breech must be removable and threaded. I am actually in wisconsin too! I am also up to suggestions other than the rifles listed above.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hurley0816

deer hunting. only laws I could find was no telescopic lens, must load through the muzzle and the breech must be removable and threaded. I am actually in wisconsin too! I am also up to suggestions other than the rifles listed above.
Buy a Savage 10ML2 and you can shoot smokeless and BP and Sub, plus it is very accurate, here is a comparison of the Savage with the Pro Hunter:

Chap Gleason

Old 10-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Since you arein Wisconsin, then anything is legal. As long as its open sights, orthe scope has no magnification and the bore is bigger then .40 caliber. I use two rifles with 1X scopes on them...Or I have a number of other rifles with open sights and RED DOTs to shoot.

That Omega should do you just fine. That is an easy 100 yard rifle for you. With a 209 primer ignition it would be water resistant. And with a good load, no Wisconsin whitetail would get away. As for other suggestions.. if you had a price range you were willing to spend it would help others in the group with your considerations.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

looking to spend under $300. where i hunt all shots would be under 150 yards.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

looking to spend under $300. where i hunt all shots would be under 150 yards.
The Omega then. Chap Gleason
Old 10-28-2007, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you could recommend a riflle for a beginner, what would it be? I was looking at the TC omega z5 or CVA optima, both with thumbholes.
Read all the articles on Gun Selection over on Chuck Hawks web site:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

read the articles in the gun evaluation for each gun your interested in. Best Wishes.
Chap Gleason

Old 10-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

I think I really comes down to what you personally like. One is a break action and the other is not. Both are probably fine guns. I've hunted with the Optima before. Personally didn't like the stock but I have a Wolf 209 and love it. Inexpensive and shoots great. The omega looks like a pretty rifle and probably shoots good too. My suggestion would be to go to the store and shoulder each rifle and see which one feels good to you. I listed the links below just incase you wanted more information.

Optima Links:
http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_optelite.htm

Wolf Links:
http://www.cva.com/products/rifle_wolf.htm

Omega Links:
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/omega.php

Quick Reply: new to muzzleloaders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.