Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why not?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Why not?

Last sighting in session before the 11/2 opening season so I am bringing 4 rifles out. All the Walmarts around are out of the 250g Shockwaves but had plenty of the 200g. I am sure they will work fine in the Encore and Omega but what I am really looking forward to is how well they shoot in the 1:20 twist Scout the fastest twist m/l I own.

My flint Renegade I will only put a few shots through it.I really like the spark of the current TF flint in it and I just want to make one last cool weather check for accuracy. I almost feel more comfortable shooting this rifle because I put at least three times more rounds through it this year than any other m/l I own.

The Omega I put on the entire scope set up I had on my .308 barrel for my Encore and it is dead on but unfortunately I need to move it ahead about 3/16 of an inch to keep it from whacking foreheads. I have a little trick that shoud keep it within a couple inches when I move it but it may be the biggest problem this session. I have promised my hunting buddy he can use it unless the Encore is all screwed up from being debugged.

That brings me to that rifle, some may remember me finding a bug nest in the bore with the crap really staining the inside of the barrel bad. I ended up lapping the bore the first time I ever had to do that and I am hoping all ends up well. I completely tore that rifle down and back up so it all depends upon groups. If it groups I will sight it in if not I will side line it for next year. I am very incouraged though, it looked real good after the lapping and I have just a little bit of damage down by the breech plug the rest of the rifling looks new.

That leaves the Scout the model 94 of m/l, I can't wait to try the 200g bullets in it because that rifle loves long bullets. Light and handy it just might be my gun of choice this year.

Why not?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why not?

Good luck with those bullets. It will be interesting to see how they shoot..
Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

THIS IS VERY INTERESTING TO ME ESPECALLY SINCE YOU WILL BE TRYING MY FAVORITE BULLET PLEASE REPORT BACK WHAT HAPPENS. LEE
Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck with those bullets. It will be interesting to see how they shoot..
You have done some testing with them I think I read, how do you like them? I think .40cal 200g would be good medicine for whitetail. I just don't recall seeing any shooting results with them.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are the best long range bullet I have ever shot in a muzzleloader for accuracy they seem to match up with the 1-28 twist in my Omega and Triumph better than any thing else,the I-38 twist in my System One wont stabilize them. I have found several loads that work well with them, in the Omega 90 and 150 RSshoot very good groups at 100yds 100gr of RS shoots almost as good. In the Triumph they shoot well with 90 100 110 &120 gr 777-FF but 110 seems a little more consistant; I am only using a 4 power scope and thats what I like for hunting [1.5 X4x32] when I put a good 7power or more I can tell some differance but unless I boble it I usually dont go over a 1.25 inch group shooting two shots before wiping. [ practice for hunting] When I put the good scope on and clean every shot I can get dow to .75 sometimes. Lee
Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

I will use 90g of T7 in the Scout and between 110g-120g in both the Encore and Omega with that bullet. The Renegade is fed a diet of .490 roundballs only
Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

See 1:24 results from White Umag http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2406810&mpage=1

I would guess they will shootdecently unless the rifling is too deep or has serious issues.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Well we went out yesterday very windy and cold in NH with high pressure moving in from Canada. Quite a change but a welcome change hoping this cold snap gets bucks in the mood to start moving around. I had ice in my pick up truck's bed this morning. My buddy Paul had bought some 250g Shockwaves for the Omega (I am lending him the rifle this season) and I had my new batch of the 200g SW's.

I did my little relief work on the Omega's scope and told Paul to go grab his favorite powder for sighting in. Even though two weeks ago he was putting the 115g T7 on bull almost every shot I wanted him to try the loading he is use to. 130g worth of Pyrodex pellets. He loves pellets so why not try to get the gun to shoot what he likes? Well the Omega performed outstandingly from the 75yd bench in the wind he got 2" groups on bull without even touching the scope settings. He ended up just tweaking the elevation a tiny bit for the last couple shots to get it just above bull because of the fact that we were shooting so close.

Well onto the Encore with it's bug eaten barrel, I was worried because if I could not get it to shoot I was going to be an Indian giver and use the Omega.

First shot Paul looks through the spotting scope and says "Dude I think this is going to suck, there is no bullet hole on the paper." I just said I will shoot low on purpose the next shot and lets see what happens because after I cleaned out the bug stuff the first time it shot high and now I was using the light 200g SW's. I lowered the scope 5" down on the target and hit the top of the paper. I the adjusted once aimed for bull and hit the same spot. I then adjusted one more time and put 5 shots into a less than 2" group 1 1/2" above bull and left it right there.

Well we were so happy with our results we said the heck with the other m/ls we were going to shoot and started shooting at fun animate targets. Kid's juice bottles and such and we hit everything. The rifles are good to go. One of the best times shooting in a long time.

We ended the day shooting some 1800's bp cartridge single shot military rifles from his collection (real rifles not replicas) What a blast!!

The Omega is a shooter for sure, thank you Walmart for that $109 special. The Encore was just doing what it always does hit the target.