Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 bench, sand bags etc.  How do u sight in? >

bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

ORIGINAL: gt2003

I've done a fair job at best of sighting in my ML (and rifle for that reason) for the last few years. Thank goodness my shots are short range so I've gotten lucky up to this point that I've done a satisfactory job. Typically I'll find a chair or bench or something to sit on, then make some kind of make shift table to rest my gun on. Or, I'll lay down on the ground and shoot from that position. Up to this point I haven't used sand bags or any kind of "gun vise" type device to help me sight in more accurately. I'm consideringpurchasing an inexpensive gun vise/sight in type stand toprovide a better base for my ML when sighting in. Or, maybe a couple of sand bags. What would you all suggest. I sawa cleaning stand/sighting in standat Wal-mart for about 20 bucks. Would it be 20 bucks well spent? I just don'tthink I'm getting the accuracyI couldbe getting. Any advice is appreciated
I just bought this at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0020055225831a&navCount=1&podI d=0020055&parentId=cat20793&masterpathid=& amp;navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20793&catalogCode=QW&rid=&parentTyp e=index&indexId=cat20793&hasJS=true

I have not used it yet. I shot off the tail gate of my truck with sand bags. I like SabotLoader's set up so I bought the separate shooting table. This one is made of steel and is pretty heavy. I have been in Big Game Tree Stands and they are STRONG, that is why I bought the Shooting Bench.
Chap

Old 10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's my rest. I can't remember the name but it's a $95 special from Cabelas. Works good for me. And the bench is at the sportsman club I belong too. If I lived out in the country I'd be getting some concrete blocks and concrete mix and building a bench like this.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my homemde set up from scrap wood. I bought the folding table legs from Lowes for about $20.00. The OSB is scrap from a building site as were the 2x4 for the rifle rest proto type I built. Never got aroud to doing one in steel yet.
I did place some drawer liner on the table top to stop the rest from sliding so easy.

I made the back stop from the same stuffthatwas used at a pay to use range I went to many years ago.
Stops a 168gr Speer Mag tip from a 300win mag shot at 25 yards and the 54 cal. muzzle loader. Car tires stacked and filled with sand.

Al
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM

Load development, andother testing is done off this rest I made.....

Which, is right next to this stuff.....

Which is housed in this (old pic)..........

And overlooks this.........

All other shooting, sighting in, practice, most hunting shots, ect.....are done MPAJ.

Allow my son to demonstrate.........

Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well its all in what you are comfortable with; I won the 1978 ILL.round ball bench rest state championship in all classes with a wood ironing board and an old original over the log gun that had a couple of Big pits in the barrel.
You would not have believed it possable if you seen the nice expensive equipment that was there.Its not what you have got but how well you use it as often as not, I still use that old ironing board for all my guns and my crossbow, unless I am at the club we have here now which has very nice bench rests even if they are to low. Lee
Old 10-25-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

I have been using the allen front and back rest that I got at wally world for $23
I think thats the one I got, It has 2 clamps you can add? Or maybe I bought the Kolpin. (about the same price). It's at dads so I can't check. I took a zip-lock freezer bag and filled it with about 20lbs of lead shot. Then put that inside an old bank deposit bag. Then lay it across the frame of the rest. It worked great for the money!

chris
Old 10-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

MPAJ ? Does that mean My Poor Aching Joints?

Nice pics, heckuva setup.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Something like that...

Grins.........
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot off an Outers Shooting rest and a Black & Decker Workmate, sit on a 5 gallon bucket...In a pinch, you can also use a 50 pound bag of shelled corn as a rest...
Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a 300 yard range cut out of pine woods.

Quick Reply: bench, sand bags etc. How do u sight in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.