Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Forgive and Forget? >

Forgive and Forget?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Forgive and Forget?

Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Forgive and Forget?

I'm looking for another muzzleloader and like the Knight Long Range Hunter but am also looking hard at the Omega. Now, I'm not here to talk trash about a product but to only tell of my experience and seek advice from the pros. Several years ago, I purchased a Knight Disc Extreme but could not get it to shoot well. We tried everything. Different bullets, new scope, you name it. I finally called knight and they gave me an RA # and told me that they look at it. I got it back in about 3 weeks and in the box there was a target with a group of bulletsholes that were touching each other and a letter saying " this group was achieved by using (3) 50 grain pyrodex pellets and a knight red hot bullet. We tried the exact same load and had no luck. I sent it back again with the same results. I was furious and sold the gun for 100 bucks to a guy that eventually bought a new barrel for it and that took care of the problem. Of course he'd of come out better by buying a new gun. Being as big a company Knight is, why wouldn't they put a barrell on the gun or replace the gun. I swore that I'd never purchase another gun from then but I like that long range hunter. Has anyone ever had any dealings with Knight's customer service?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Forgive and Forget?

I have had my Knight Disc for several years and have never had a problem...
I prefer a Kinght over an Omega because I can adjust the trigger...I have 3 buddies that also have Knights, never a need for customer service.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Bigtimer.. we make our future purchases from our past experiences and those of others we trust. From what you told me about Knight and the way they handled your prior problem, this would make me very cautious about another Knight. Although, I have two Knight rifles and they are great rifles.

Only you can decide if you trust Knight enough to purchase another rifle from them. I think the model you selected will be a great shooter, although so will the Omega.

Good luck with your choice. It sounds like you want the Knight but past history has you worried... And I understand that.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad, that's exactly what I was trying to say. They may make the best rifle in the world but what good is it if their customer service doesn't step up to the plate when needed. I picked that gun up today and it feels great and is what I want but i have that bad taste in my mouth that just won't go away. VERY FRUSTRATED. I wonder if Tony Knight's at home. Wabi, you have his private # don't you?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tony is no longer involved with Knight. I sold Knight rifle's and TC's for years. I never had a single problem with either's customer service. From time to time everyone has a bad experience, but IMO your experience with Knight is not a typical experience.

I own the Long Range Hunter and it is awesome. I have owned a couple of Omega's, and I must say that they truly shot great. I just hated their trigger, and the fact that I could not force a second shot down the barrel, and it was all I could do to get the first shot down the barrel with TC sabot's. Tom.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigtimer:

As the saying goes, "I feel your pain." About 2 years ago I bought a Ruger .17HMR. Walnut stock, blued hardware, beautiful rifle.

I saved for months for the thing.

It was also the first, and last,rifle I ever bought without first checking it before leaving the store.

When I got it home I was crestfallen to discover poor finish around the magazine well. But that was before I got it to the range.

Long story short, the receiver was so FUBAR, cranking my scope to its stops wouldn't put bullets on paper, much less the bull.

I was almost in tears-no joke.

About three weeks later when the rifle came back from Ruger, the receiver was still not quite right, but at least I could get the bull.

Anyone who collects guns for any length of time eventually has a story like this-and it is never fun.

But we learn from our mistakes and negative experiences.

My lesson: Only God is perfect.It was foolish of me to hold in such high regard a man made thing. Even to the point of turning my back on the one I call "Lord."

I still have that P-O-S rifle, it serves as a valuable reminder each time I open the gun safe.

I hope you will benefit from your experience as well.

Peace,
~Robert
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

My problem may not be "typical" but unfortunately, it did happen. I'm sure that this simply happens from time to time and will probably never happen again. That's why I'm leaning towards the knight. Anyone know where I might get the best price? Thanks in advance.

God Bless,
Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=LRH707F R&R Arms have them for $555.85 with a stainless steel barrel. Most places are $600.00 or more.