Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

recovered bullets

Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: recovered bullets

gt2003

Here is a pic of the recovered Gold Dot and the Hornady's...

Old 10-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

SL,
Thanks for the input. I'm not 100% sure of what 300 grain XTP bullet I shot. If I recall correctly, I shot it with some sort of green sabot. It was INCREDIBLY accurate. The problem was that the deer I shot pretty much laughed at it and went on. I literally lost 3 deer, maybe more. I was at the point of giving up muzzleloading until I found the precision rifle bullets. Now, I don't shoot far when I hunt, maybe 50-75 yds at the most so it's pretty easy to find a bullet that shoots good at this range. But, if the gold dots expand that well with only 80 grains of goex, I'M IN!!!! But, after my experience with the XTP's, I'm kind of leery of any jacketed bullet.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, I didn't see this post before my last one. Which pix are which? Are these 240 grain XTP's vs. the 300 grain version? Not trying to be an Azz but am really looking for something that will work. If anyone has recovered some 300 grain xtp's i would love to see them. Thanks again, Greg
Old 10-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

gt2003

I'm not 100% sure of what 300 grain XTP bullet I shot. If I recall correctly, I shot it with some sort of green sabot.
That would have been a .430/300 grain Hornady & @ close ranges that may have lead to problems.... extended ranges around a 100 yard it "should have" worked very well. Some whitetails even adult whitetails do not offer much resistance to high velocity bullet unless you tag a major bone.

But, if the gold dots expand that well with only 80 grains of goex, I'M IN!!!! But, after my experience with the XTP's, I'm kind of leery of any jacketed bullet.
They do and that was a tougher 300 grain - look at the cavity in a 250 grain Gold Dot - it will expand and it will create hydrostatic shock in the chest cavity - it will pass through and it will spray blood all over.

All of this goes back to the fact that bullet placement is the most important thing you can do...

Old 10-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

gt2003

Are these 240 grain XTP's vs. the 300 grain version
The copper on the left are .452/300 grain Honady's shot into clay @ a 100 yards - the lead has stripped out of the jacket completly... the bullets on the right are Gold Dots from the same medium.

Here is a recovered 300 grain from a whitetail buck shot several years ago - found it under the skin on the other side. It passes through the shoulder blade a rib on the near side and a rib on the far side. It was just a bit over 100 yards... back in those days I was just learning about ML shooting and thought I need the 300 grain bullet.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 PM

The XTP Mags are not designed for use in a ML...they are for usein magnum type Casulish handguntype stuff.

The Mags will NOT expand at ML velocities, a 250 grain XTP Mag won't even expand out of my Ruger BH usingmax loads of Lil' Gun......not even at 10 feet into chunks of firewood.

I've killed a couple threetruck loads of deer with the "regular"240 XTP though, outta my inline ML.

Never had one not die like it should have.

Up close it's likehittin''emwith a freight train....

Out a fer piece, 200 yards, it pokes two very leaky holes through the ribsand the deerbleeds out in very short order, very dead before I get there, easily recovered.

They might make a "better" deer killer than the "regular" XTP, but I haven't found it yet.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wilds

The XTP Mags are not designed for use in a ML...they are for usein magnum type Casulish handguntype stuff.

The Mags will NOT expand at ML velocities,
Here is an information sheet on the 454 Casual. It shows the velocities of the Casual. When I shoot the 300 from my inline I am shooting it @ 1800 fps second which is greater than the Casual. I beleive the lack of expansion of the Hornady can be traced back to the fact that a white tail just does not afford it enough time to expand before it is out of the animal - unless you hit a major bone.

Chap's shot with a 300 Gold Dot designed for a Casual shows that it will expand in a deer sized animal...

Old 10-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is an expansion test I did.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Biggest hog i ever killed was with a 240 grain XTP. The field dressed pig pegged the 350 pound scales. That bullet went through both shoulders and left an exit hole one inch or bigger.It went through 18 inches of gristle, flesh and bone.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:38 PM

I would love to know what my Barnes look like, but they go through. leaving a nice exit I might add.

Quick Reply: recovered bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.