Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 Powder

Old 10-17-2007, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 777 Powder

i forgot to mention, my above statement was in reference to the 777 and pyrodex pellets...not loose powder.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased a T/C Omega just around the New Year, I finally made it to the range this past Sunday. I shot it using a 250gr. Shockwave, with 2 pellets of Triple 7 Magnum loads, I was grouping great. Prior set up was a older Knight (BK-92) using 2 Pellets of regular Pyodex and a 250gr. Barnes/Red Hot
Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I sense a problem here, do you understand MZ harmonics? Do to them you need to start at about 80 grs. and run the powder ladder to the top, it really dont make any differance what you like when it comes to long range accuracy its what the gun will shoot accurate, for instance my new triumph,I had to put rubber warshers under the barrel to settel it down [Thanks to Sabot loader and a couple of others for help on that problem] Now I have it shooting 6 different bullets well so I have a choice. The one that stands out above the rest is the 50/40 200gr shock wave but it will only do it with one of all the powder loads I tried[110 of 777. Ever other gun I have had shot Pyrodex better this one likes 777 so thats what I give it even though I don't like 777, the other gun I have that will shoot it is my Rugar Black Powder which will also shoot Pyrodex P.
Suggest to try and lay out a plan and keep records.
Try and pick out at least 5 bullets and try different weights[my list is all 3 shock Waves the 250 and 300 Gold dot the 250 XTP and the 10mm 200gr XTP.
Take two powders, suggest Pyrodex both P and RS, and both grades of 777.
I now take several Primers my Omega shoots better with win- 777 and the Triumph wont shoot accurate with them it likes regular win 209. None of my inlines like the Rem made for MZ.
Also check you bedding and the way you reassmable your gun when you take it down ,the most commen mistake I know of is over tighting the screws that hold the stock and barrel together, I use 28 inch # on all mine.
If you can not get it together this way then you may have a problem in the way you mount your scope or have one thats no good I have run into several that change the POI every time you fired a shot. Not all scopes will stand up to the type of recoil that an inline MZ produces. Hope this helps Lee
Old 10-17-2007, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I sense a problem here, do you understand MZ harmonics? Do to them you need to start at about 80 grs. and run the powder ladder to the top, it really dont make any differance what you like when it comes to long range accuracy its what the gun will shoot accurate, for instance my new triumph,I had to put rubber warshers under the barrel to settel it down [Thanks to Sabot loader and a couple of others for help on that problem] Now I have it shooting 6 different bullets well so I have a choice. The one that stands out above the rest is the 50/40 200gr shock wave but it will only do it with one of all the powder loads I tried[110 of 777. Ever other gun I have had shot Pyrodex better this one likes 777 so thats what I give it even though I don't like 777, the other gun I have that will shoot it is my Rugar Black Powder which will also shoot Pyrodex P.
Suggest to try and lay out a plan and keep records.
Try and pick out at least 5 bullets and try different weights[my list is all 3 shock Waves the 250 and 300 Gold dot the 250 XTP and the 10mm 200gr XTP.
Take two powders, suggest Pyrodex both P and RS, and both grades of 777.
I now take several Primers my Omega shoots better with win- 777 and the Triumph wont shoot accurate with them it likes regular win 209. None of my inlines like the Rem made for MZ.
Also check you bedding and the way you reassmable your gun when you take it down ,the most commen mistake I know of is over tighting the screws that hold the stock and barrel together, I use 28 inch # on all mine.
If you can not get it together this way then you may have a problem in the way you mount your scope or have one thats no good I have run into several that change the POI every time you fired a shot. Not all scopes will stand up to the type of recoil that an inline MZ produces. Hope this helps Lee
Man this is awesome info and I really appreciate what you said. I have tried some of the stuff you said, however there is some good stuff in there I haven't tried. I will give it a try and see what happens. I just really wish it would quit raining. It has been raining for around a week and doesn't look like it will quit till Tuesday. Guess that is cool need the rain anyways. Thanks again.

River Rat
Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

River rat - send some of that rain my way! I've had wheat on the ground (desert?) for 2 1/2 weeks now. No wheat, no geese, no deer
Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

We are getting that rain here to and we are in the middle of our MZ season [13Oct to 23 Oct ] and I still have one tag left to fill got one with x=bow and one with MZ so fa can still get another buck. Lee