Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Seating the action >

Seating the action

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Seating the action

Old 10-09-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Seating the action

I am trying to tighten up my groups and read on a different forum that you can seat your action. Along with free floating your barrel. I already have an idea on how to free float my barrel however don't know how to seat the action or what that reaally means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

River Rat
Old 10-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Seating the action

ORIGINAL: River Rat

I am trying to tighten up my groups and read on a different forum that you can seat your action. Along with free floating your barrel. I already have an idea on how to free float my barrel however don't know how to seat the action or what that reaally means.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

River Rat
I have not head that term in ml speak.Chap Gleason
Old 10-09-2007, 05:44 AM

That is interesting, anyone else that might know what this means.

River Rat
Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Depending on which bolt action muzzleloader that you have, bedding the action can enhance accuracy and consistency. Some ofthe less expensive bolt action muzzleloaders have very flexible stocks that hinder accuracy. Additionally the hole/s for the action screws can wear out. i have blass bedded, and/orpillar bedded,and floated the barrels of several different brands of bolt action muzzleloaders. Accuracy always improved.

Here is my old CVA Stag Horn.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=790049&t=11082005

I understand the instructions that come with that kit are very detailed and clear.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Underclocked.....fancy meeting you here. grins.

I've had my best luck with a full length bed and pillarson a black powderboltgun.

From there I look at trigger function,scope mount mechanics, charge weight consistancy and load compression.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

A free floated barrel is like my Black Diamond XR where the barrel technically touches the stock in only the two locking lugs. That's why at the range you must not rest the rifle on the front bag with the barrel. Only with the forearm of the stock.

I think what River Rat is meaning is he wants to bed the rifle. Something I personally have not had the nerve to attempt yet, but will be doing so in the very near future with a couple rifles..
Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

A free floated barrel is like my Black Diamond XR where the barrel technically touches the stock in only the two locking lugs. That's why at the range you must not rest the rifle on the front bag with the barrel. Only with the forearm of the stock.

I think what River Rat is meaning is he wants to bed the rifle. Something I personally have not had the nerve to attempt yet, but will be doing so in the very near future with a couple rifles..
The instructions were on the Web Site above with the product:

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/StaticPages/pdf/Instructions/MG%20Bedrock%20Instr%20Large.pdf

Chap
Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Thats pretty interesting Chap. Have you ever used that product? I have heard of a few other brands out there..
Old 10-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Thats pretty interesting Chap. Have you ever used that product? I have heard of a few other brands out there..
No, but now that I see the instructions and how detailed they are I may give it a try. Chap

Quick Reply: Seating the action

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.