Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need Help/Advice for Scope >

Need Help/Advice for Scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need Help/Advice for Scope

Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default Need Help/Advice for Scope

Hey guys!

Been working on a light load for my 45cal Disc Elite for small game. Using .360 RB(70grains) in a MMP 45/357 sabot and 15grains of Trip7.

But here is my problem: This round hits 11" above my regular 200grain XTP's @ 50yards, and my scope runs out of vertical adjustment. I'm using the CVA Universal aluminum mounts/rails--Looks like this, but isNOT the see thru mount:

I love this Simmons 3-9x44 ATEC. I don't know how to Shim a scope up, and I really don't want to do it if it will damage the scope.

Should I just get another scope and shim that one if needed and then swap scopes when i want to do the small game thing??

Any Ideas are greatly appreciated
Old 10-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need Help/Advice for Scope

Lane-

I have mounted a lot of scopes but that shimming is something I leave to my gun smith. I think I would get a second scope and just switch them out when I want to small game hunt with the rifle... I never used a Simmons scope, but have read some good things about them.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could look into some Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts. I would use those before doing the shim thing in a heartbeat. I had to go to those on one of my CF rifles due to the adjustment range on the scope and it works perfectly. The other advantage to the Signature series is it will not mar or torque the scope tube even if the rings are not quite alligned perfectly. They make the Signature series for Weaver style, STD Leupold style, duel dovetail styleand 22 style bases so you should be able to find something that will work. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

LaneNebraska

Straight power (fixed)scopes have a much larger adjustment area than do variables - you might have to consider a fixed power.

Shimming a scope really is not a big deal. By placinga shim in a ring you can make a large difference in the up/downor left/right adjustment. If you use a shim in one ring and not the other be sure not to over tighten the rings as they may marr your scope.

I am wondering if the gain is worth the effort unless you plan on shooting PRB a lot. With that load you also can not be expecting to shoota great distance - but even then I doubt you can adjust to many scopes or even open sights to correct for that difference...

Just thinking out loud

Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not be afraid to shim if that will solve your situation. You need only a very thin shim to give you another foot or two of scope adjustment. I can't see how a scope could get damaged here. Who ever stops to measure the front and rear rings to verify that there is no variance between the two? I'm sure there are plenty of scope mounts/rings with more variances than the shim size you might need here.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

LaneNebraska

Ya Know! Steve863is right - it might only be a matter of you reversing your mounts... move the front to the rear and the rear to the front - it has worked before - might work again...
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the input guys!

I have decided to go with a4X scope for my low power small game loads.

Will get a report back when I got it shooting good.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have much money due to a disabilty, so I bought a Simmons 4x32 (I believe 32) shotgun scope. The Pro Diamond Elite series. It is a relatively short scope and looks great on my Omega with the flip up lens covers. It alsohas at least 4 1/2" of eye relief. And the optics seem really good. I haven't sighted it yet so I hope it works out okay. It was only like $60 at Wally World. I would have liked to a get a Nikon, but just couldn't afford it. Let me know if anyone has used this series of scope..... thanks.

chris
Old 10-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Got one of those Simmons Pro-Diamond scopes on my Encore. It had been on two other muzzleloaders previously. Have made fiveshots over 150 yards with my Encore and that scope. The longest shot was a bang flop on a hog at 192 long paces-190 yards +-5 yards. It is a decent low light scope too.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Buckhunter, I have a 4X Simmons "Pro-Diamond" shotgun scope on one of my guns. It's a great scope - a lot brighter and sharper than it has any right to be for the price I paid.

Quick Reply: Need Help/Advice for Scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.