Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bison Rifle

Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Default RE: Bison Rifle

I agree, im trying to catch up to you and your collection. STOP BUYING!

What kind of mold is that you are using? Those almost look like the BS bullets i bought some months back. He used a Lyman mold for mine. Nice scale too, i like that.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Dominant Buck

The mold is a custom made LEE mold. It does make a pretty nice conical. I have been using a new lube on the conicals, but figured I would size them and see how close in weight I could get them to be. The lowest weight was 446.0 grain and the highest was 448.4 so over all they are very close. That little scale I bought because they were on sale one day and I decided spending twenty some dollars was not really a big deal. It seems to work really good. I actually like it.

My collection just kind of happened. I started out collecting Renegades and different barrels for them. Then for Christmas I was given my first inline rifle, a CVA Staghorn Magnum. And that got me started collecting the inlines. Then I would find different traditional rifles that sparked my interest because of twist, size, weight, or brand and so I added them to the collection. This Bison was just too good of a rifle to pass on. No one was bidding on it, and I ended up getting the rifle for $102.00 which I felt was a steal.

When I get ready to head for the range, I look at the wall of muzzleloaders and ask myself what I want to shoot, what distance, and what has not been shot recently. Then I make a selection from there. Often I will take two or three rifles to the range each day. So they all get shot almost every month. Granted some more then others. The center fire rifles are the ones that never seem to get shot anymore. But thats all right. I like the black powder experience much more.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

tell 'im Dave, it's a UC Short two-cavity custom LEE mold.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The WHITE BISON G-SERIES .504 rifle arrived today. The general condition of the rifle was a little surprising. The seller listed the rifle as;

[blockquote]Seller's Description:
White Muzzleloading Systems model Bison G series,cal .504 Blue with black synthetic stock. Sling swivels,scope blocks,adjustable sights,in line percussion cap ignition. Bore looks good with deep rifling and only a few light spots of fouling. [/blockquote]

I do not know how that person ever looked down the barrel at the rifling. That rifle was filthy. I would have been embarrassed to sell a rifle like that. I broke the rifle down and cleaned it all. The crud that was in the barrel worried me at first. I really had to work, to get the barrel clean. There was a lot of grease and fowling, with a little orange rust I might add, in the barrel. The breech plug was worn a little, fowled badly and not even open and unlubed, but I got that all cleaned up. The trigger I do not think had ever been removed and cleaned, so we got that done. When I finally had it clean to my standards, I headed to the range with it.

With the short bull barrel and the synthetic stock the rifle looks pretty cool I think. The barrel is much different then that on the Ultra Mag. The crown in the end of the muzzle is very strange looking. Probably made by a different company. After I got the barrel clean, there was only very light marks in the barrel. It actually looks in good shape. The trigger on this rifle is excellent. It breaks clean, no creep, and if I had to guess, I would guess it at four pounds.

For some reason this rifle will not take the RWS Dynamite Noble caps. The first hit from the hammer sets the cap and the second fires it. It got worse as the rifle fowled. So you have to keep cleaning the nipple good. I finally went in and opened my CCI Magnum caps. They were much better, but still not the answer. As long as the nipple is clean the CCI do a great job.

I tried Triple Se7en 3f, Pyrodex P, and Goex 3f with and without wads. I shot Bullshop .504, Bullshop .503, and some UC Short Mags sized down to .504 caliber. The best loading were the .503 but if the bore is clean the others load fine, you just have to knock them down with a short starter as the barrel fowls.

The other thing I discovered right off the bat was, this sight was set to shoot as high as possible. I was only at 50 yards, but when I aimed at the dead center large bull, the hits were very high, and a little to the right.

Group #1 is a combination of .504 & .503 BS 460 grain with and with out wads, using 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f.

Group #2 is after I thought I lowered the rear sight enough. I shot, then adjusted to the left but went too much. So I then put one center of the two. Point of aim was the upper left corner bull.

Group #3 is I lowered the sight more and adjusted back to the right a little too much. This was shot with 65 grains of Pyrodex P and .503 BS 460 grain. A rather tight group this time. Point of aim was the upper left bull.

Group #4 I was aiming again at the center bull. This group was an assortment of using Pyrodex, Goex 3f, and Triple Se7en again. It seemed to be holding pretty good.

Group #5 was to the right of the bull on purpose. I wanted to shoot at the 3 o'clock position of the bull with 65 grains of Goex 3f and the .503 BS 460. It did pretty good actually.

Group #6 was shooting Triple Se7en 3f without a wad. I was shooting the UC Short Mags and my home made lube. I aimed at the bottom of the green bull at the 6 o'clock position, so I was pretty happy with them as well. They loaded kind of hard though from using the Goex, so I had to swab the barrel.

Group #7 was shot with Pyrodex P and some wads using the UC Short Mags. I was shooting at the lower left bull and was surprised the wads made them hit low and a little to the right.

Group #8 at the lower right bull is with the Pyrodex P and the .503 BS 460 grain. I was kind of pleased with that.

Over all I think this rifle is going to be a shooter. I put a lot of lead and powder down range today. Recoil is not bad at all with this little rifle, and it is really well balanced. The rifle cleaned up fine, but I did take some J-B Bore Paste and scrub the bore today. The Bison looks much better all cleaned up now, and in my gun rack. I think the next time to town I will get the Nikon 1X20mm scope for it and use some Warne QD rings.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it might like Pyrodex P and the .503/460gr. best.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Wabi .. I agree. Good thing I bought a half case of Pyrodex P on my last powder order..
Old 10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I was in the big city today and found a nice hat for my Bison. It is a Nikon Buckmaster 1X20mm. I think this will make a nice rifle to hunt with. And after I got it all mounted a deer was kind enough to come into the yard at dusk, so I was sighting on him He was only 40 yards away, but the clarity of the Nikon was very impressive. I could easily had placed one on his shoulder at that distance... Now I am kind of excited about the upcoming season. I wanted to hunt with the UM during the modern season. Then the Bison and the GMB during the muzzleloader season.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Spike

What about the savage? Did you have any luck?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Redpep

What about the savage? Did you have any luck?
Someone else grabbed it up. I am sure glad they did. I was real tempted.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a chance to sight in the new Nikon scope today. Talk about easy to dial in. No more tools needed on the adjustment bolts. The light gathering ability of the rifle is real good actually. I shot three shots that all touched, off shooting sticks at 25 yards to begin with. Other then them being three inches low. Since it hit so well, I just walked back to the 50 yard bench and shot from there. I made my first adjustment and shot another three shot group. Why it went to the left on me, and did not go up as much as I thought it should, I had no idea.

So I made another adjustment and shot group #3. Again, a nice tight group but not as far right as I thought it should have moved the group. So as normal, I over compensated for groups four's adjustment. Another minor adjustment and I shot two rounds for group #5. Group #6 was just me shooting for the center of the target. It did well. So I tried with three shots for the lower left corner bull (group #7). Then to show myself some humility, I took two shots at the upper right bull free standing.