Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Accuracy Problems again >

Accuracy Problems again

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accuracy Problems again

Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy Problems again

If you guys would PLEASE go back to the post entitled "Accuracy Problems" (july) and read the contents. I had my CVA Optima Pro shooting like a dream. Our season opens this Saturday so I decided to go to the range one more time to make sure that everything is still OK. I shot a few caps through it. Loaded her up, good rest, everything on go. I sqeezed the trigger and at the drop of the hammer, the primer went off but the charge didn't go off immediately. The target is a 14" x 18" target. NEVER TOUCHED IT[:@] Is this a hang fire? Anyhow, I let it cool and tried again. 6 inches high and 8 inches left. Shot #3 was 3 inches low and 6 inched left. The rest is history. The more I shot the worse it got. Now, I'm a reasonable man but what the???????. Somebody's gonna get a good gun REAL cheap. I've checked the scope and mounts ect, but this continues to be a problem for me and I wind up buying the newer and better gun that I'm sure that I don't need. How could it have shot soo well in july and this bad in Oct with NO change in bullet, sabbot, powder and primer. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy Problems again

Sounds like you are leaving some lube in the bore or the plug is gummed up. Be sure to check both and make sure both are bone dry and clear before loading. Start again from there and see what happens. If you still can't get a group (and you are sure of the powder), I would remove the scope andtry the irons.

Your problem accuracy is about like the BEST accuracy I could get from the one I had. Terrible! But it was a very early production model.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Spike

I have that gun and found the bore on CVA is undersized afew-100 thousands. Were your sabots hard to load-did you have to really push them down? I switched to the MMP HPH24 and found my groups tightened up. I'm afraid though with a CVA you might not get the accuracy you are hoping for. I did however kill 2 very nice eight points both years I carried it. Good Luck
Old 10-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a group from July, nothing has changed as far as the sabbots, bullet, powder charge not the primer.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man Bigtimer, I feel for you. Evidentially you've never read Semisane Ten Laws.

On a serious note, it sure sounds like a scope problem. With the groups you were getting with that load I just don't see how you could be getting such wide variance now with a 12+" group. Temperature and loading technique differences may account for an inch or two, or three - but nothing like that. Got to be either a sight problem or serious damage to the muzzle.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Dominant Buck

If the rifle has iron sights, pull the scope and try that load at 50 yards with out the scope. If it shoots a 2" group at that distance, then you might suspect the scope is no good. Or throw another scope on it and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise you are going to have to rework all the steps of what you do to the rifle and where you might have changed something.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 PM

Cayugad, you are right about the scope!! I had a scope on my inline, and couldn't get it to zero. Sent it back to the manufacturer, and they said it was a bad scope, replacing it at no charge..............
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM

Was the gun brand new when you were getting these groups? With the first couple hundred shots, the rifles taste for load can change quite a bit. It's not uncommon, but less severe, with centerfire rifles after a 'break-in' period.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

It's 2 years old. I wouldn't think that would make a 12" POI difference.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey bigtimer, I did as you asked and went back to your July post and re-read it in its entirety.

Here's what I found:

In your first range session you were having problems getting powerbelts on target, made some scope adjustments and got one shot in the bull, but didn't verify that shot right awaywith another as far as I could tell. A little later you shot again (two shots?) that were no where near the bull.

Second range session, this timewith Noslers, youstarted to get acceptable groups but wanted to do some tweakingwhen the session was called on account of rain. I couldn't tell how many shots or groupswere fired.

Third range session, again with Noslers, you gota real nice 3-shot group. Don't know how many other groups were shot or if you got other groups close to that great one.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here, but if that third range session consisted of one 3-shot group it could have been a fluke. Such things happen. On the other hand, if you had two or three pretty good groups at that last session I go back to my "scope problem" theory. A scope problem could even explain the difficulty you had getting powerbelts to group in your first session.

Quick Reply: Accuracy Problems again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.