Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Pursuit Pro >

Traditions Pursuit Pro

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Pursuit Pro

Old 09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Spike

Default Traditions Pursuit Pro

I am new to the board and new to muzzleloaders. I just bought my fist muzzleloader, a Pursuit Pro, I was not looking to spend a lot of money since I will only use it for 2 wks a year. The gun had the thumbhole and felt nice, however, since purchasing it I have read some unfavorable reports about "spanish" barrels being unsafe. Has anyone else heard of this or had a Traditions? I haven't seen too much written about them on this board.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Traditions Pursuit Pro

I believe if you keep it within the manufacturer's specs, you shouldn't have any issues. I have a CVA Kodiak with a Spanish barrel and haven't had any issues. From what I've read, there really isn't a need to go over the spec anyway.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Read your manual. Then read the recommendations of the powder manufacturers as well. The powder makers will tell you two pellets as a max load. I have a CVA with the Spanish barrel as well. I load 110 grains of 2f as the max loose powder, and for pellets just two of them. Also in your manual there might be projectile recommendations of 300 grain for a Sabot and 400 grain for a conical. Those weights are good levels to keep in mind.

There is a lot of information out there about the spanish barrels. Use the rifle with common sense and it should serve you well. I would suggest starting some loads with about 80 grains of loose powder and a 240 grain XTP. That might be a real accurate load and you could work it from there, although it is hard to really say what your rifle will like.

Let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the forum and to the sport. Be safe with your rifle. Read the manual and understand it. Then use common sense. You should be fine. And any questions you might have, just ask.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Like cayuqad, welcome to the forum...

I have a Traditions Yukon that I bought as a strictly hunting Muzzleloader & like you didn't want to spend a lot, it has the Spanish Barrel on it & so far it shoots pretty good, I started with a 240gr. .44cal Hornady XTP bullet with the Traditions sabots & a .50 50gr. pellet & a .50 30gr. pellet of Hodgdon 777 & Winchester 209 primers & it'll put em into a 1.5" group at 100 yards dead center.

Later I may experiment with some heavier bullets & play with the charge but with my Yukon pushing that 240gr. XTP @ 1605fps. avg. I really don't think you need much more than 2 pellets "or 100gr. powder" in any of these rifles & should be fine for years, the Remington Genesis rifle has the exact same barrel as my Yukon except that it is 4" longer & they state that it can handle up to 3 pellets "or 150gr. powder" so as long as you follow what cayuqad said you should be fine...

Enjoy your new rifle, take your time& shoot em straight...
Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Spike

Thanks for the feedback...feeling better about my purchase!
Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 PM

Bull543 my brother has the same gun bought it last year and loves it, he shoots 2 50gr t7pellets and 295gr powerbelts.My Optima has the spanish barrel and I have no complaints.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Spike

Bake...good to know, thats exactly what I had bough to shoot out of mine.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

I have one and its a nail driver !!!
A friend bought 4 of them , one for each of his brothers , his dad and one for himself and that are all very accurate guns . I shoot a Hornady 300 grain XTP and use 100 grains of ffg and the 777 primers .

Old 10-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Held off on responding until I had a chance to shoot my new .50 barrel I had Traditions fit to my Pursuit Pro action. Took it out today and tried 80 gr FFG T-7 behind a 300 gr XTP. I don't think I'll have to look much farther for an accurate load. First 3 shots were at 25 yards and were less than 1" group with the f/o sights. Next two shots were at 100 yards and were in the 3" (duct tape) square I was using for a target! I believe I may just put a scope on this rifle for further evaluation!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 PM

That sounds like a very good start wabi. A little more powder would propably tighten them up a little too. Any pics of the "new" setup?

Quick Reply: Traditions Pursuit Pro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.