Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore Quality??

Old 02-15-2003, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Encore Quality??

Since you mentioned the QLA do you think it takes away any accuracy by having it cut off.I have thought about having this done to mine,the reason is that I had read on the PB site that (pression bullets) that he had it removed and the pics of the groups he gets don' t show that he hurt anything by cutting it off.
We have some bad weather for the next several days so won' t get to the range for awhile.Can' t wait to try after the JB job.This is the first rifle that I shot new without the JB' s,treatment,looks like I should have did that first but with all the rain and bad weather we have had this year, was in too big of a hurry to try the new barrel out.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Herman, no I don' t think it hurts a thing accuracy-wise to remove the QLA. It' s there to help get a straight alignment of the bullet to the bore and does nothing otherwise to aid accuracy. So long as you can load the bullet correctly the QLA is at best only a slight help in that regard. I' m sure it' s more of an advantage for sabot alignment. I removed mine before I discovered the White PowerStars that my rifle likes so well. It might have shot equally well with the QLA in place.

T/C claims the QLA eliminates the need for a short starter but I would disagree.

Cecil removed his because the QLA was off center with respect to the bore and was seriously hurting accuracy.

I have a friend/gunsmith that did mine for nearly nothing so .....
Old 02-15-2003, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Underclocked did the JB work for you? I did the jB treatment,bullet stared a little easier down but had to put lots of pressue to get it all the way down,got a break in the rain so I tried the patch and ball,put in 100 grs of cleanshot ,patched ball,shot it ,spit patch turned over and ran back down the barrel,loaded another patch and ball,shot it,spit patch,turned it over and ran back down barrel.decided to see if I was getting anywhere,powder,180 gr sabot (.357 bullet) went down ok,shot it .patch,loaded a 40 cal and sabot went down barrel good.
Think I have that ;problem solved now,now hopefully get a decent day next week so I can get to the range to work on getting it to shoot good.Got several different bullets I want to try
Old 02-16-2003, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haven' t shot the rifle since doing the JB thing, Herman. I also bought a 7/16" diameter range rod with a .50 jag on one end and a .45 jag on the other. Figured that would help at the range as the very tight fit in the .45 should give me a bit more pushing power. Those White PowerStars shoot GREAT! but are extremely hard to get down that tight bore.

Snowing here now so will have to wait a few more days for any shooting.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Spike

HI, I' M FAIRLY NEW AND HAVE BEEN MONITORING THIS POST. MY BROTHER AND MYSELF BOTH PURCHASED ONCORE 45 CAL. LAST YEAR. AFTER SHOOTING DIFFERENT LOADS AND BULLETS WE WERE VERY UNHAPPY WITH THE GUNS PERFORMANCE. I WROTE A LONG LETTER TO THE COMPANY ASKING ABOUT NEW BARRELS IN 1:28 TWIST AND IF NOT AVAILABLE WOULD STTLE WITH 50 CAL.
REPLACEMENTS AS A LAST RESORT. THE GUNS WERE SHIPPED ON JULY 19, 2002. WE RECEIVED THE GUNS BACK ON AUG 16, 2002. THEIR RESPONSE WAS THEY FOUND NOTHING WRONG. WE TESTED THE RIFLES AFTER GETTING THEM BACK AND FOUND THEY SHOT A LITTLE BETTER USIING CVA 225 AERO TIPS. MY QUESTION IS HOW DO YOU DETERMINE IF THEY REPLACED THE BARREL? IT SEEMS THEY ARE NOT NOTIFYING ANYONE THAT THEY DID. IS THEIR A WAY OF DETERMINING THE TWIST RATE?
THANKS
Old 02-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Take a cleaning rod with a handle that turns,put on a 45 cal jag and patch,I put a black mark on the rod facing me near the handle,You can tell when you start down the barrel after the false muzzle watch the rod as it turns as you slowly push the rod down the barrel,it won' t make a complete turn because you only have 25 1/2 inches of barrel,but it will come around (the mark where you can see it,mark the rod again at end of barrel,measure from the mark you just made to the end of the jag,should be around 25 in.It takes 28 inches of barrel to make a complete turn.
Hope I explained good enough if I didn' t maybe some one else will.
I just sent my barrel back and included some of the targets that I shot with my 50 cal barrel so they could see the difference.On the package slip tht came with it was wrote replaced barrel.
Hope this helps you and your brother
Old 02-18-2003, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Went back to the range today,decided to give the 777 another try,so only took 1/2 can of fff ,encore 45, and different bullets.357 cal.- 158and 180 gr,hornady,40 cal,180 and 155 gr. hornady xtp,barnes 195 gr, power belts 195 gr,and 225 gr. precisson bullets,200 and 240 gr.
Using only 100 gr,110gr and 120 gr loads only got 3 different bullets to group 2 in or less at 100 yds.They were hornady 180 xtp in 40 cal,120 grs of 777 (fff),barnes 195 gr and 120 gr 777 (fff) and the pression bullet in 200 gr and 120 gr 777.
Was really surprised at the 777 last sumer I shot 2 1/2 cans in ff,and fff and the bullets were very hard to get down the barrel even with a spit patch between shots today I didn' t have that problem,I think it was because I worked the spit patch up and down the barrel several times and turned it over and ran it up and down several times.as before with pyrodex I licked a patch ran it all the way down pulled it out turned it over and ran it back down and out with out working it any.
Was going to set the scope with the 180 gr bullets then found out my scope wouldn' t track.Was using a Simmons atec because I just got it returned to me,and wanted to see how it would do on the muzzleloader.Oh well will put on the burris or nikon and try again another day
Old 02-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are having some bum luck with those Simmons scopes, Herman.

I' ll try another splainin' job on the twist determination. First of all, you HAVE to have a cleaning rod that is able to turn freely and independent of the handle. Put a .45 jag on it along with a TIGHT fitting patch. Make a small witness mark on the rod about 27" up from the jag. Insert the cleaning rod into the bore until it just begins contact with the rifling, then be sure the witness mark is aligned with top dead center of the barrel (front sight?). Slowly run the rod into the bore, allowing free rotation of the rod as it goes. When it bottoms out, take note of the position of the witness mark in terms of it' s revolutions (ie, a 1:28 will give you 7/8 of a full turn).

For the purpose of what you are trying to determine, less than a full turn is 1:28, more than a full turn is 1:20 as those are the two available twists.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

I think you did a better explaining job than I did.Yes I am tired of the atec scopes,when I bought the first one it was over $200 bucks thought it would be a good one.
I am still scratching my head over the 777,haven' t tried it again in my 50 cal,but when I tested it the other day there was as much difference in the testing as day and night.and it is the left over 1/2 can I was using out of last summer.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:04 AM

herman,
I have a .45 cal Omega with the 1-20" twist that I will be sending back to T.C. shortly. Hopefully they will replace the barrel wtih the newer 1-28" twist.
It sounds like you are having better luck with the 1-28" barrel. The groups that you are shooting are they 3 or 5 shot group averages @ 100yds?
Keep it in the 10X
mac454

Quick Reply: Encore Quality??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.