Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Funny Jim Shockey

Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Funny Jim Shockey

Today while i was cleaning my muzzleloader i was listening/watching the hunting channel and jim shockey and his American pioneer " shockeys gold" popped up and im watching and listening and hes braggin on the powder and then says he trusts his life on tc and so on. " And here so and so is,taking his 1000th shot without cleaning!" For a TC spokes person, Why the heck was the guy in the back ground shooting a knight?!!!

I darn near fell over when he started talking about tc and bragging about them and here the main guy doing the shooting is using a knight!

You guys ever take notice to that commercial?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Funny Jim Shockey

I saw that commercial and the first thing I said was.. that looks like a Knight Disc Extreme rifle that fellow is shooting.. not a Thompson Center.

I watched a hunting show the other night and it was Jim Shockey in Saskatchewan Canada hunting white tail from an elevated blind. He let some nice bucks go, then decided to shoots non typical old buck with a strange set of horns. He finally had the deer in about 80-90 yards, shot. That deer took off like it was never hit. He even said he thought he missed. Then when he walked out through the snow to where it was standing, there was the blood spray all over the snow. He never said "where he hit that deer" but it sure ran off a long distance. When he saw the blood he was happy, but he had to track that deer a long way before he found it.

He was shooting either a Pro Hunter or an Encore, I think it was a Pro Hunter. And was shooting Nosler bullets but never mentioned the powder he was loaded with.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Dominant Buck

The other person (I forget his name) was hunting a large open field. Now video cameras will distort distance so it is hard to judge, but he shot a buck on the other end of the field. It had to be over 150 yards (guessing.. and looked further then that). He was shooting a Encore, scoped, and a 250 grain Shockwave. He never mentioned the powder.

Here again, he had a big buck he shot. And he was positive he hit the deer, but that deer ran a heck of a long way. He was bragging about how great that Shockwave puts them down, but he left the stand in light, and did not find that deer until well after dark. Also (I think he was in Kentucky) he was hunting in grass and he kept saying how it was not bleeding real well, and that he was not the greatest tracker. But once he found that buck then he was all brag. I kind of thought that .. yes he killed the deer and found it, but I that Shockwave did not put that deer down on the ground very fast. I was kind of surprised. I wish they would talk about their shot placement and even show the wounds, but I am sure they are worried they will gross someone out.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:55 PM

Yeah, Thats another thing i find interesting. Almost all of the muzzleloading shows on tv today, use the TC line and the shockwaves. Lots of bragging on the bullet, However, i never see these Bang/Flop dead in thier tracks, shots that they are always talking about with this bullet.

It kills me when they dont show the shot wound. A lot of people dont like Ted Nugent because of the way he acts. He on the other hand shows you where his arrow hit and shows the damage. IMO, if you want to sell a product, Especially a bullet, you need guys showin what they can do.

It still cracks me up with seeing that knight rifle and Shockey talkin tc.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

FG

You have to remember that Shockey was a Knight spokesman long before he was a TC spokesman.... I would bet you if you could ask him personally, the right,Knight would still be his gun of choice... TC just offered him more in the way of benefits...

Money talks and makes a lot of people talk the right talk....

Old 09-27-2007, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Noticed that commercial a few months ago. I heard Shockey was turned off by Knight's Revolution rifle and decided to go with TC.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Today while i was cleaning my muzzleloader i was listening/watching the hunting channel and jim shockey and his American pioneer " shockeys gold" popped up and im watching and listening and hes braggin on the powder and then says he trusts his life on tc and so on. " And here so and so is,taking his 1000th shot without cleaning!" For a TC spokes person, Why the heck was the guy in the back ground shooting a knight?!!!

I darn near fell over when he started talking about tc and bragging about them and here the main guy doing the shooting is using a knight!

You guys ever take notice to that commercial?
Ya know another thing is they say on the commercial is 1000 shots and not clean the rifle, but putting a patch downthe rifleevery shot with water is cleaning it. In my mind that gets most of the fouling. A true test would be how many shots without ANY cleaning whatsoever. With little blowback thru the breech plug I think any rifle with 1 wet patch will shoot a 1000 shots with any powder, not just JSG. It is the cleanest powder I have ever shot, no doubt,but 1 wet patch will clean up a lot of fouling, expecially if you turn it over. So in my mind this is NOT a true test of the cleaness of the powder. All the have to do to show JSG is cleaner is shoot 1 rifle with 777, 1 with Goex and 1 with JSG and run 5 patches down it and take a picture of the patches, it is obvious what is cleanest powder. That will make you a believer that it is CLEANER, however that is NOT the whole story on powder. It is a lot more expensive and is NOT available everywhere. Further, JSG sucks water, you can tell that by the color of powderand the fact that it clumps together in thesealed container.Anywayit clumped for me, so I figure it is sucking water into it, or logically how could it clump? I left the silica jel in it also.
Chap
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

You have to remember that Shockey was a Knight spokesman long before he was a TC spokesman.... I would bet you if you could ask him personally, the right,Knight would still be his gun of choice... TC just offered him more in the way of benefits...

Money talks and makes a lot of people talk the right talk

Sabot, the Disc is a fine rifle as are all the muzzleloaders that Tony built... I think the problem came in with the sale of the company and those first couple of offerings that soured Jim. On his web page, Jim stated that he didn't profit money wise on the switch just that the TC was the best front stuffer on the market right now and he wanted the best... so if it's a lie he told it

Old 09-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

flint head

Jim stated that he didn't profit money wise on the switch just that the TC was the best front stuffer on the market right now and he wanted the best... so if it's a lie he told it
That I can believe... any die hard hunter is going to want what serves him best or that he can stand by - so it does make sense to me... although there is still some gain for him also, along with his Shockey's Gold - gotta be some royalties... nothing wrong with either but I still weigh his words with the words of the the guys around here that love what they are doing...
Old 09-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

but I still weigh his words with the words of the the guys around here that love what they are doing...
Amen!

Quick Reply: Funny Jim Shockey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.