Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Taking the boys hunting >

Taking the boys hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Taking the boys hunting

Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taking the boys hunting

My 2 boys, 14 and 16, drew the youth ML hunt for mule deer in unit 15 here in NM, got lucky since there were only 50 yags for that hunt. The hunt starts this Sat. and goes for 5 days. There aren't a lot of deer in that area but they can be fairly big from what some have told me. I've only seen does out there but I've been pointed to a few choice places that I haven't tried before so hopes are high.

My oldest boy shoots a Win. Apex and he is trying the Barnes 285 expander MZ's this year over 100gr of Pyro P. Velocity is averaging right around 1780fps and grouping about 1" at 100 yards. The younger one shoots a CVA Optima loaded with 100gr of Pyro P and a 250 Shockwave. It also is going around 1780fps and groups good with me shooting it, he is a little less accurate but can keep all his shots within a 10" circle with most within 5 inches at 100 yards. I need to get the trigger smoothed out a bit but wanted to let him learn the gun better before lowering the trigger weight, I also think it is safer with a little heavier trigger for now in the hands of a young teenager.

Now if the weather would just cool off before the hunt starts so the bucks will be moving I'll be happy.

Good luck to all who are out there looking to fill a freezer.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Taking the boys hunting

Good luck to your boys... I hope they get the opportunity to see and hunt a nice deer. I will be looking for good field reports from you.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't forget to bring the camera, and don't forget to take pictures - not only of the kill (hopefully)but of routine activities.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

My 2 boys, 14 and 16, drew the youth ML hunt for mule deer in unit 15 here in NM, got lucky since there were only 50 yags for that hunt. The hunt starts this Sat. and goes for 5 days. There aren't a lot of deer in that area but they can be fairly big from what some have told me. I've only seen does out there but I've been pointed to a few choice places that I haven't tried before so hopes are high.

My oldest boy shoots a Win. Apex and he is trying the Barnes 285 expander MZ's this year over 100gr of Pyro P. Velocity is averaging right around 1780fps and grouping about 1" at 100 yards. The younger one shoots a CVA Optima loaded with 100gr of Pyro P and a 250 Shockwave. It also is going around 1780fps and groups good with me shooting it, he is a little less accurate but can keep all his shots within a 10" circle with most within 5 inches at 100 yards. I need to get the trigger smoothed out a bit but wanted to let him learn the gun better before lowering the trigger weight, I also think it is safer with a little heavier trigger for now in the hands of a young teenager.

Now if the weather would just cool off before the hunt starts so the bucks will be moving I'll be happy.

Good luck to all who are out there looking to fill a freezer.
Best wishes to you and your boys. No matter what you get or don't get, your building a lifetime of good times, which will be remembered forever. Chap Gleason
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Semisane said, make sure to take your camera. Now that my dad has passed on, I cherish those pics of us in the woods more than anything else. Have fun and I look forward to seeing the outcome.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

dmurphy -I suspect you'll havea great time with or without bringing home the bacon. At the same time you're out stalking deer with your sons, I'll be on theAlberta prairies hunting ducks and geese with my father and uncle. We're a generation ahead of you. IMO, there is no greater gift a father can give a son than an appreciation ofwild things and wild places. Good luck on the hunt!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies and the encouragement. Some of my first hunting memories were huntingtree ratswith my Grandfather and whitetails with one of my uncles. They have long passed but I still remember those times and I look forward to building more with my own kids. It's nice to get them away from the gameboys and playstations and get out into the real world. We will be sleeping in a tent and cooking outside, not new to them but not something we do very often (unfortunately). I will be taking a camera and will try to get as many picture as I can, maybe even a video if I can.

Thanks again and good luck to all.