HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Should of kept my mouth shut. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/207377-should-kept-my-mouth-shut.html)

dmurphy317 09-17-2007 02:12 PM

Should of kept my mouth shut.

I got a few hours over the weekend to go to my gun clubs annual rondy and check out some of the activities. I was down at the woods walk checking things out when one of the shooters asked if anyone wanted toshoothis flintlock. Well I had never shot one but have been interested in checking them out so I spoke up. He had a .62 smoothbore with front site only that looked nice. He loaded it up and showed me how the sight picture worked and put me on the firing line for a Knife shaped metal target about 25 yards away. The target was about 14" tall but only about 2.5 to 3" wide. The shot only had a small delay and to my delight I hit it. Well now I have to start saving some money toward a flintlock. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut.

Semisane 09-17-2007 02:26 PM

RE: Should of kept my mouth shut.

Know how ya feel d'murph. A .54 Great Plains flinter is on my Christmas list - and I'm damn wellgiving myself one.

nchawkeye 09-17-2007 02:31 PM

Check these out.... www.flintlocks.com

My next build will be the Mark Silver....Saving my quarters.....:D

cayugad 09-17-2007 02:56 PM

Flintlocks?? who in their right mind would want to fire a gun by slamming a rock against a chunk of hardened steel? Must all be crazy.

dmurphy317 09-17-2007 03:52 PM

My wife already thinks I'm crazy. [:-]

cayugad 09-17-2007 03:54 PM

At least she understands when you do something wrong... why. Makes it easier to play dumb.

HuntAway 09-17-2007 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Flintlocks?? who in their right mind would want to fire a gun by slamming a rock against a chunk of hardened steel? Must all be crazy.
Yes and I'm not going there alone!!!:DI'm taking at least two others with me.

I just ordered another Deerstalker Flintlock for my other young fella. He shoots backwards and isn't comfortable with the Southpaw configuration. lol

Wolfhound76 09-17-2007 08:32 PM

I always wanted to try one. I wouldn't buy one though. No Blackpowder close enough to me for me to use one. It's too expensive to order it.

gleason.chapman 09-18-2007 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

I got a few hours over the weekend to go to my gun clubs annual rondy and check out some of the activities. I was down at the woods walk checking things out when one of the shooters asked if anyone wanted toshoothis flintlock. Well I had never shot one but have been interested in checking them out so I spoke up. He had a .62 smoothbore with front site only that looked nice. He loaded it up and showed me how the sight picture worked and put me on the firing line for a Knife shaped metal target about 25 yards away. The target was about 14" tall but only about 2.5 to 3" wide. The shot only had a small delay and to my delight I hit it. Well now I have to start saving some money toward a flintlock. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut.
I started FL hunting in Pa 2 years ago. Bought a TC hawken and it is a lot of fun. It helps to be into MLing, but the FL is a different kind of fun. I like it all, as I am sure you will. Chap Gleason