Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Best Bullet for the Buck? >

Best Bullet for the Buck?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best Bullet for the Buck?

Old 09-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Best Bullet for the Buck?

I here alot of guys saying for a cheep bullet,for your .50 cal go to Speers Gold Dot or Hornaby pistol bullets.Just say if money didnt mater. What would you shoot then??
Old 09-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Bullet for the Buck?

My Knight just won't group the Hornadys, either in .451- 250 or 300 grs....

I shot the Barnes 300 gr copper for several years, great bullet....

Changed to the 250 Shockwave because its more aerodynamic, no problems with it as well...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Okie48

Absolutely no doubt in the world. Nosler Partition .451/260 grain HP. This is a devasting bullet on deer and will work well on elk.

Here is an example - not a very big buck, but shot at 170+ yards - all the vitals in the chest cavity were red jello. The hydrostactic shock of the bullet passing through the chest cavity turned everthing to mush-jello. Opps! gotta switch puters....

Old 09-15-2007, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Okie - no matter what bullet you select, if the rifle will not shoot them accurate then they are no bargin. Hornadys, Speer, Barnes, are all good bullets. Which one your rifle shoots best will be determined by your rifle, conditions you hunt, and your pocket book.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Okie48

I here alot of guys saying for a cheep bullet,for your .50 cal go to Speers Gold Dot or Hornaby pistol bullets.Just say if money didnt mater. What would you shoot then??
Price matters to practice a lot, but price does matter for hunting, since we don't shoot lots of bullets for hunting. I use Nosler Partition HG Protected Point 300g bullets with a crusted rib sabot, about a $1 each. They go all the way thru, are accurate and mushroom perfect.

For my new Savage 10MLI have triedabout 10different bullets that have high ballistic coefficients for additional range:

Hornady XTP Mag 300g
TC SW Black sabot 300g
TC SW easy glide 300g
TC SW bonded easy glide 300g
Knight Ultimate Slam 290g
Barnes TMZ 290g
Harvester Scorpion PT 300g
Parker Ballistic Extreme 275g

Of those 9 bullets I shot them all at the same recommened powder and the best groups were the TC SW black sabot and the Parker Ballistic Extreme. I will use the Ballistic Extreme for hunting with my Savage. They are accurate, and loose only 10% of their weight and expand perfectly in pictures and reports I have see and read. So expensive or cheap bullet, they are the thing that must do the job, awell placed bullet in the boiler room will do the job all the time every time, it makes little difference what bulletyou use for boiler room shots, but shots that are "less than perfect", hitting shoulders or large bones then a bonded bullet or well constructed bullet makes a huge difference, holding together, getting past the bone and into the chest cavity. Accuracy is number#1, since if you don't hit what your aiming, then nothing else matter,
#2 is penetration
#3 is expansion
You want a bullet that does all 3, so shoot what is accurate in your gun (shoot a variety, not what your buddy recommends, do what is accurate),

Make shure the bullet willpenetrate, read reports on the bullet or try a basic penetration test into sand or packed top soil in a 5 gallon bucket. If a bullet fragments in this media, it will tend to fragment in flesh/bone.

expansion, you want excellent expansion so look for bullets with large HP or ballistic tips over a hollow points.

Chap Gleason
Old 09-16-2007, 05:49 AM

I like Barnes. Wonder if this'll post. None of the other tries did.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:36 AM

If money didn't matter...I'd probably go for Barnes TMZs.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

If money was not the question and my rifle shot them well (which most rifles do) I think I would go for the Barnes Expanders. I like the 300 grain the best andI do not think there would be anything that could stand up to a hit from them. Even though in 99% of the cases the 250 grain Barnes would do the same job. In my rifles the 300 grain always shot a little better for some reason.

The next bullet I want to try is the Nosler that Sabotloader keeps preaching about. I shot some Noslers but they were a soft point. And they shot great. But they were not the ones he is talking about. A .451/260 grain. Sabotloader, what sabots are you loading them in? I know you like to tickle them with about 110 grains of Triple Se7en from reading your range reports. And that is all the animal kingdom would need where I live.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

A .451/260 grain. Sabotloader, what sabots are you loading them in? I know you like to tickle them with about 110 grains of Triple Se7en from reading your range reports.
I use the HPH-24, except in the White and it uses the 12... I do shoot 110 in the White and the 26" Remington - but 100 in the short Remington, the A&H and the Omega.

You know I think the short petal regular Harvester would be another good sabot.

Until you shoot an animal with one though, you will never appreciate how well they perform.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Are these the one your talking about Sabotloader??http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...amp;t=11082005

Quick Reply: Best Bullet for the Buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.