Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Look Who I Got Out of Bed >

Look Who I Got Out of Bed

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Look Who I Got Out of Bed

Old 09-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Look Who I Got Out of Bed

Well I managed to get both of my boy's out of bed at the same time this morning. So we went out for a shoot. Pretty chilly out, around 37'F, windy and the odd rain drop.

Since I have the Omega all squared away for moose, I thought I would take out the flinters for a shoot. I'll be using the .50 GPR for deer this fall so I needed to play some with it. The boy's were using the Deerstalker .50
Old 09-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Look Who I Got Out of Bed

With the GPR I can't get any more height with my rear sight. Do I need to file down the front sight to raise the point of impact?

Old 09-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

That is the common way to do it, but I hate to file a good sight... but it certainly has been down quite a bit...

I usually order a replacement (higher/lower) sight from Williams...

Nice to see those two fine young ones up and about...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

That's a great way to spend a day. Does Marble at Brownellshttp://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx? have the sight you might need?
Old 09-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was fun getting the both of them out this morning. The one on my left likes to sleep in till noon when he can.

I hate trying to find something on line. I sent an email to Lyman asking about a combination rear/front sight they have to see if it will fit a GPR.

Another question for you guy's though. The GPR fired off without a hitch while the deerstalker had quite a few flash in the pans. I remember cayugad talking about replacement vents, Would a new vent help reduce the FITP's.

I was using one of the cut agates to start but switched them out for some Tom Fuller English flints I got from October Country. They seemed to spark better.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Dominant Buck

The first thing I did when I got my Lyman Trade Rifle was at the same time.. ordered a RMC Sports allen head vent liner. They have a little bigger throat then the standard vent liners, and they are easy to get in and out without scratching your rifle all up when the screw driver flat head (and it will) slips off and slides across your stock.

Another thing is try putting the black powder primer to the outside of the pan edge. For some reason when I put the primer powder too close to the vent liner I get slow ignition, or a flash but no boom. I think with that prime way off to the side, the sparks have more time to jump wild and one of then can them seem to make it into the vent hole. I also never over fill the pan. A little powder, about 2-3 grains does the trick for me.

I sure would not throw that agate away. I had one on my Trade Rifle I swear, I got over 50+ shots from that thing before it finally gave out. In fact I am going to reshape it with my diamond wheel and see if I can not make that come back to life.

For fixing fat flints or dull agates.. Roundball was kind enough to tell me about these http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-diamond-wheel-1/BDL34 this diamond wheel fits in my dremel tool and I can knock the humps off the fat flints so they fit better and are held deeper in the jaws of the lock. This thing will really eat a flint down and trim it. I bought six of them and they really work.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what I'm talking about. That has got to be the best way to nap a flint that I've seen. Thanks cayugad!

I'm going to order a couple of those liners as well.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I still knapp my flints but I use the diamond wheel to reduce the thickness on the ones that do not want to fit the jaws. I never tried knapping a flint with the diamond wheel.

An easy way to knapp is take a large nail like a big 16 sinker and on a grinder cut an L into the thing after your grind the point off flat. The set the hammer on half cock, and take that nail and (set the L basically upside down) along the face of the flint and strike it with your wooden short starter. It knocks very small chips off the edge of the flint and they come out pretty good that way for me.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew it was too easy. lol[:@]

Got ya.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

It won't be long Hunt Away and they will be the ones getting you out of bed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.