Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I just shoot 'em - can't explain 'em >

I just shoot 'em - can't explain 'em

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I just shoot 'em - can't explain 'em

Old 09-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I just shoot 'em - can't explain 'em

Well, the Remington and I head to the rock this morning... it is starting to feel a little like fall here.

The "Rules" prevailed this morning - i was not shooting worth a darn, do not know if it was the rules, the Moca, or the McDonalds #2 breakfast (susage, egg, & cheese McMuffin + the oily tater patty) but I certainly was not holding it together... Another problem was the sun coming up in the morning shinning in the objective lens - could have used a sun-shade...

Well, here are the results of this mornings efforts - sure not real proud of them and I think they are inconclusive... but they all would have done in the animal....

The Remington had aBushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 mounted on it and it is a very reliable ML - I still feel that it is my best gun - but today I was just not on the mark... I really do not hink you can blame the equipment or the bullet. When i would get a good 1-2 shot I would screw up #3.

It was a little odd that most all of the Hornady's were left and the other werebasically right.

I even shot 6 Noslers - which i will not normally do and I really wanted them to print well. Just wasn't my day for paper...

Old 09-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I just shoot 'em - can't explain 'em

McDonalds #2 breakfast (susage, egg, & cheese McMuffin + the oily tater patty
I think the above was your first mistake of the day
I myself never and mean never eat at Mcdonalds and them tater patty repeat on me all day must be the lard they fry it in.
I been there some days you get get the timing right
Old 09-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mocca and 2x Egg MacGreasies, that's a 15 minute enema.

The 250 GD's stayed fairly tight. What range were you shooting at. Scoped?

Generally in the same area though. One nice hand size hole.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

I forgot to add the target distance 102 yards, and I hate to say it is scoped...

I really think the .458's would have been a good group also but I messed #3 up trying to get that perfect group along with #15 of the 260 grain Noslers...and that is exactly what I was thinking when I shot #18 "do not mess this up like you did #10 or #15 I really did not even want to post this but I felt you gotta show the bad if'n your gonna show the good ones...

My only + is that any one of the shots in the vitals would have done the job...

When I put the gun up to clean it I am going to come down 1" and left 1".

Old 09-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

U wooda dun better if'n ya wuzn't shootun dem grat big blue water dropz.

It aint yer best gun.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Dominant Buck

What the heck.. you got to go out, make noise, smoke, shoot a gun and eat at McDonalds.. Its great to be a kid again. Actually if that paper were venison, all them shots would have made for a very bad day with the critter.

[hr]

I was trying some of your loads yesterday...

I was shooting my stainless steel GMB in the Renegadeyesterday. I was shooting Pyrodex RS 105 grains and a 200 grain 10mm Hornady XTP with the blue MMP sabots. I could not get over how accurate that load is. I sure do thank you for telling me about them 200 grain 10mm HornadyXTP's. They are becoming one of my favorite bullets on the range. I was shooting only at 50 yards with open sights, and had a 2" sticky dot up. I hammered that thing with them little stingers. I want to boost the powder charge to 110 grains of Pyrodex RS and see what they do next.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

how true
that's a 15 minute enema.
McDonalds #2 breakfast (susage, egg, & cheese McMuffin + the oily tater patty

Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I want to boost the powder charge to 110 grains of Pyrodex RS and see what they do next.
It has been my experiance - that they shoot better with a stiff charge... although I guess I am some what set back that you the "Dean" of the site would shoot from a Renegade - even if it is a GM LRH.... in osme circles that would get you in trouble....

You oughta see what that little hummer does to a ground squirrel...

Old 09-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting under developed, softball size watermelon from the garden, and when you hit them with that 200 grain XTP there is not enough left of them to even bother looking. A ground squirrel would not even stand a chance.

I am calling Thompson Center tomorrow and order a set of scope mounts for the GMB. I then want to mount a 1X20mm Nikon scope on that thing. It would be legal in Wisconsin and I think that would make a nice little deer rifle. I might even throw a Nikon Pro Sport 2-7 on it as well since I have a couple around. When they went on sale, I jumped on that deal too...
Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave! go in the house QUICK... check your temp... are you feeling OK... 2 of your recent statements and your latest shooting adventure with Polymere in a Traditional gun really have me worried....

Statement #1

Never believe that just because the projectile is a large lead conical, that's an automatic give me... Place it and you get it..
Statement #2

I am calling Thompson Center tomorrow and order a set of scope mounts for the GMB. I then want to mount a 1X20mm Nikon scope on that thing. It would be legal in Wisconsin and I think that would make a nice little deer rifle. I might even throw a Nikon Pro Sport 2-7 on it as well since I have a couple around.
This is un-dave like.... You truly are multi-sided....

Quick Reply: I just shoot 'em - can't explain 'em

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.