Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Opinions on CVA Optima?? >

Opinions on CVA Optima??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Opinions on CVA Optima??

Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opinions on CVA Optima??

I was thinking about buying another ML. I already havea T/C Carbine, and a Traditions Buckhunter Pro. Both 50cal. I was looking at the camo stock, nickel barrel Optima at wally world. They seem to be faitly nice ML's. I like the break barrel design. Do you think it's a good gun for $200? Or should I spend more on something else. I was also looking at the T/C's. I'm not sure I like the trigger drop design. Thanks for your opinions.

chris
Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Opinions on CVA Optima??

I have an Optima Elite and love it. From what my friends that have them say, it's great for the money.

My suggestion is to shoulder it and see how it feels to you. The only person that will be satisfied or not satisfied with the gun is going to be you.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 AM

I have a standard Optima and really like it. I am new to muzzleloading so I have nothing to compare it to. Its easy to clean and its accuracy should serve me well for deer season. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 PM

yeah get a tc and just shoot sabots and deal with the stocks. Nothing to say about knight, never handled any except a young wolverine.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:15 PM

Yeah Frontier Gander, I gave him a link to new TC Triumph.I have not heard anything bad about their stocks, your thinking of the Omegas. As usall your just blowing smoke hehe.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:20 PM

encores too. triump will be another once there are more out on the market and people start shooting. They keep building light weight rifles and they do not hold up. Take a look at the light weigh cva's such as the mag bolt. I want either a wood stock or a solid stock.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

frontier gander,Well I can name some problems with other brands I have worked on a lot of them. I just dont believe any production brand is going to run indefinatly with out a few problems what counts is how well they stand behind it after you buy it.
Now I have an Omega and I use heavy loads and have checked the stock a number of times with a magnifying glass and can not find any sign of a problem and I have not seen any muzzle loader around here that will out shoot it.
As for the Triump I have only had mine for a month and the way it is constructed I do not believe any of them will have a stock problem. It is as clean as the 25 apc conversion as it came out of the box so far the only complaint I have is that it dose not like heavy loads it stays under an inch with most bullet and 110 or 120 gr rs but opens up to 3 inches with 150 gr; now I know that is just the individual gun and my bad luck. Lee
Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Now I have an Omega and I use heavy loads and have checked the stock a number of times with a magnifying glass and can not find any sign of a problem and I have not seen any muzzle loader around here that will out shoot it.
I have an Omega, and get groups like this with it (the TC):
http://www.the-gleasons.com/tcshockwave300g.htm

but I get better groups with the same bullet (300gTC SW)in a Savage:
http://www.the-gleasons.com/TC_Shockwave_300g_2007_06_02_AA5744_44g_FederalPri mer_default%20sabot.jpg

I love my Omega, and got several deer with it, but now I love my Savage cause it is so darn accurate. Most people do not work to find a proper load and bullet for their given gun, they shoot what their buddies recommend. I think that is one of the biggest mistakes of Muzzleloading. I did it for about 6 years before I learned to find an accurate bullet and load combination. Chap Gleason

Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 PM

damn what a difference great shootin there chap.

Quick Reply: Opinions on CVA Optima??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.