Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 help me buy a muzzle loader >

help me buy a muzzle loader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

help me buy a muzzle loader

Old 08-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: help me buy a muzzle loader

guys, i cant thank you enough for all the replys. I am looking seriously at the T/C Omega. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Features3.html

Cayugad, here's an article by Toby Bridges on that Green Mountain rifle. That gun is on my wish list
Old 08-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Opps... he has a replacement barrel for his TC Hawken (and its a 1 in 28"). Still a cool set up.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 PM

Also check out the cabelas website and their traditional rifles.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

bassfisherman711

Gotta tell ya, i have an Omega, even though it is an older one - it is a good basic reliable gun. If you can afford it I would set up to the stainless model vs the blued model. There is nothing wrong with the blued model there are just some advantages to the stainless... It will be a lifetime gun unless your state changes the rules....
Old 08-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bassfisherman711

guys, i cant thank you enough for all the replys. I am looking seriously at the T/C Omega. Thanks for the help!
As long as all you want to shoot is sabot/bullet combinations or Powerbelts the Omega will do a great job. Price of the Z-5 is really good for what you get. I have a stainless (read expensive)older Omega with camo stock and it is fine with sabots. Since I hunt elk I have moved to rifles that will shoot heavy conicals. One other comment; my Omega will not shoot Tripple Seven without a severe crud ring. Some do, some do not. Take your chances. I have tried all the "fixes" including the .25ACP with little help.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

bassfisherman711

One other comment; my Omega will not shoot Tripple Seven without a severe crud ring. Some do, some do not.
ML is correct about the "crud ring" - in my case I do not get the ring at all in any my guns... but even if you do and you are patching afer each shot it is no big deal... windex on your breaks it really easy.... I think a lot of the "crud ring" problem also might go back to how you treat your bore.

And as ML says the 25acp ignition system is a good deal. I shot mine for years with 209's never had any problems other than soot... the 25 gets rid of that...

Your Omega will really do a very good job on elk also... the 300 grain Nosler Partition is a heck of an equalizer....

This is not an Omega, it is a Remington - but it shoots the equalizer...

Old 08-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

I plan on just using it for whitetails. what kind of muzzle loader should i get. i dont understand the lingo such as "sabots" and whatnot.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

The above mentioned CVAs are all inexpensive, reliable guns. I have taken several whitetails with the wolf without any problems, and hunt with some guys that own the other models. My father has a CVA wolf and I have an H&R sidekick. I have pondered getting a more expensive model but never had the need.

The wolf loves 295 grain powerbelts with 90 grains off powder, but it is a little "fussy" in general. Some loads/projectiles just don't shoot well at all.

On the other hand, the H&R sidekick that seems to shoot any projectile VERY well as long as the powder charge is 70-90 grains. I have also taken several whitetails with the sidekick without any problems. It absolutely loves 300 grain XTPs and 90 grains of triple 7, which is a very inexpensive load to practice with.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Im not sure where your located but I have a Bass Pro thats 40 minutes from home and they are having a sale this week. They have the Omega Z5, blued, with a Simmons 3X9 Scope installed. Says the gun is bore sighted. It comes in a hard case, and has the starter kit with it for 349.00

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?appID=163&option=3&template=circula r.cfm&catalog=fhc2007tab&rfx_versioningid= 003&storeID=19&cmid=HOME_GURNEE_CIRCULAR1& amp;storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

Don

Quick Reply: help me buy a muzzle loader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.