Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Damp Bore Patches

Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Damp Bore Patches

A few people have asked me how Iprepare my bore patches. Well, I needed to make some tonight so I thought I would snap a few pics...

For me it is really important to prepare these patches so they are not to wet and not to dry. When I pass the patch down the barrel - I really do not want it to leave any moisture/fluids in the bare at all and I want it to dry fast. Because most of us damp patch with the barrel in a verticle position any moister left behind will run to the breech plug and nipple - get ready hang fires or no fire at all.

Another thing that I do is open the bolt or hammer so that air can pass directly thru the breech plug and nipple. As I am pushing and pulling the jag up and down in the barrel - I listen for the sound of that air to be forced out of the nipple. I listen for a CLEAR rush of air without any sound of moisture. If I prepare my patches correctly - I never have this problem.

I also may use one patch for several shots as long as it remains moist, believe me when it drys you will know - it gets brittle and stiff. Again because I am cheap I do not use a new patch each shot. but I am not so cheap that I wash them and re-use them

Here is a pictorial of my prep process for anyone that might be interested...

Old 08-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Damp Bore Patches

Well done presentation!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 AM

Well done. I do almost the same but I use 50/50 Rusty Duck and Water. Also when I put them in my jar Ialso leave a few dry patches at the bottom of the jar. Even though you think you get as much as possible they stillsoak up extra moistureover time. I make enough to last a while too.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:03 PM

Maybe you should use some of that Windex and some of the time you spend doing these crazy presentations and wash dat der truck!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cdad

It is Washed... I gave up waiting on you so the other day on the way to Elk River, a deer came up out of the barrow pit on the right side - never even saw her til she hit... in fact if I would have opened both doors on the passenger sideshe would have ran right into the cab and been in the fron seat with me.... it might have been cheaper come to think about it... well anyway the truck is washed thanks to "Auto Body Super Center" and my $250 deductible - dang it!!!!

I know I have an extra deer tag this year - but I am not using it that way....

Old 08-25-2007, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader
It is Washed... I gave up waiting on you so the other day on the way to Elk River, a deer came up out of the barrow pit on the right side - never even saw her til she hit... in fact if I would have opened both doors on the passenger sideshe would have ran right into the cab and been in the fron seat with me.... it might have been cheaper come to think about it... well anyway the truck is washed thanks to "Auto Body Super Center" and my $250 deductible - dang it!!!!
That sucks. It's pretty common here. Saw a roadkill deer that had an excelent mount done. The taxidermist mounted the horns and useda car door panel for a plaque.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wolfhound

I was way to mad to even stop - I did not even want to look - If I had I might have wrapped the whole door around her...
Old 08-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Dat's a tupid way ta git a carwash!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cdad

ye i no! but u wouln't waa**** - sooooo Ezse afraid 2 talk bout much fraid captchee wood fine out dat I mite git 2 xtra of dem deer dis yeer, beesides da regu one
Old 08-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I finally found a use for all those swabs they keep sending me with my test strips despite me asking them to stop. packaged in a foil package and just the right dampness and size for the 50. Any body know of a use for lancets? What a pain to use one once and change the pen each time.

Al

Quick Reply: Damp Bore Patches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.