Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

[Deleted]

Old 01-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knight disc extreme (vs.) older disc

I bought my Knight Orig. DISC at my local Scheel's on a special purchase deal they had with Knight. They had about a dozen Orig. DISC's with black comp. thumbhole stocks for $330 they special ordered from the factory at about the same time the DISC Exteme came out. I really like my Knight a lot. It is incredibly accurate, ultra reliable, etc...

I am comsidering buying the Extreme conversion kit for it for one reason...blowback. I don't honestly think that the new discs seal up the primer any better than the old ones when new (unless you like to submerge your muzzleloader). The problem is when I take the Knight to the range I tend to fire 20-30 shots or more, the little ring of plastic on the front of the standard disc, that seals the disc against the breachplug, blows out when fired (especially with Triple 7) and shoots a bunch of fouling back into the breachface and action. The new discs surround a nipple on the breachplug which would prevent blowback into to bolt better. The new discs are also much more durable, withstanding repeated firings without damage. The standard discs blow the seal out on the first shot.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 01-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Knight Bighorn with a #11 percusion cap system. It's been in a few pretty rainy situations, and it's always gone off OK.

Old 01-06-2003, 08:12 PM

I own a new disc rifle and have shot the older discs. I prefer
the new rifles much better. I hunted with the new disc in extreme snowy rainy conditions and have not had it missfire yet. In fact I have a wolverine rifle also and I converted it to the new ignition also.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:01 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]
I own a new disc rifle and have shot the older discs. I prefer
the new rifles much better. I hunted with the new disc in extreme snowy rainy conditions and have not had it missfire yet. In fact I have a wolverine rifle also and I converted it to the new ignition also.

Curious since you have shot both,does the new extreme with the covered discs,does the 209 primmers foul the action as much as the orginal disc do??

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg
Old 01-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

i have shot both the disc rifles also. i don't think that the new disc is any better than the old one in terms of sealing out blowback. they may be better at sealing against the elements, but i have not had either of them out in bad weather. when i bought my disc extreme, the lady at knight told me, if i had the old disc, the conversion wasn't worth the extra money, but if buying a gun, the extreme was the way to go. so, i would say, if you could get a hell of a deal on the original, buy it. if not, go with the extreme.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

danny, i think the gun they submerged in water was a disc extreme, not the wolverine. it TOTALLY worth the extra cash for a disc or a disc extreme
Old 01-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I converted my .45 super disc this fall.The old version would on rare occasion blow back piece of primer(in your face).Never Ever had the old version misfire due to wet,damp conditions.I think the "Water Proof" claim is simply a big hype in attempt for Knight to keep up with the compitions new and never ending firing systems.

Extreme version is easier to load,can reuse disc(up to a point).Much less blow back into breach area including the scope!Only minor draw back is new disc requires you pry it off. Not good when trying a quick 2nd shot!

Last but not least,I wanted a spare bolt assy in case of total breakdown just before or during season.

Edited by - aj52 on 01/11/2003 16:15:09

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.