Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tape on the end of the barrel? >

Tape on the end of the barrel?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tape on the end of the barrel?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Tape on the end of the barrel?

What is everyone's opinion about tape on the end of the barrel to keep rain out? I have seen duct tape and electircal tape used. Do you have to peel it off prior to shooting? I have some of those black barrel 'condoms' that I have used but they tend to roll off or puncture. Getting ready to go to Canada after caribou and I think it's probably a guarantee it will rain while I am up there.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Default RE: Tape on the end of the barrel?

I keep the muzzle pointed down sorain isn't an issue. My breech is sealed so I don't worry about it.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

I use a ballon and stretch it tightly over the muzzle, and then wrap a thin rubber band around itenough times to take upany slack in the band.This has alwayssecured the ballon very well.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off most people dont take it off,second ,my experance is that it does not stay on well.
My suggestion is to try finger cots. In case you are not familer with them it is a thin strechy rubber [that looks like a baby condum] that people is used by people that file a lot of papers or count a lot of meney. streched over the end of the barrel it keeps moisture out well and I shoot right through it ,dont seem to have any effect on accuracy. All so I have found that to seal these close breach rifles like the Omega you need to wax the adjoining surfaces,last year I was in a really bad down pour and it got the powder under the 209 wet it is a good thing I did not have to try and shoot a deer. Lee
Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never understood the need for it with a muzzleloader (loaded with a properly fitting projectile). The ball with a lubed patch, bore fitting lubed conical, or bore fitting plastic sabot should provide a tight moisture resistant seal. I'm much more worried about moisture invading through the flash channel for ignition.
I simply carry the gun in a muzzle down position when hunting in the rain, and pay special attention to keeping the breech area protected. I picked up a "cow's knee" (off eBay for only a couple dollars) to cover the lock & breech on my sidelock. For the break-open inline I just smear a small amount of homemade "bore butter" type lube in the joint where the barrel closes.
I always take extra efforts to keep the action of any gun (muzzleloader or breechloader) covered when hunting in the rain or snow. Even an old handkerchief draped over the action and removed an wrung-out when soaked will help when caught in an unexpected downpour.
I've always thought I'd like to see someone manufacture & market a "disposable" plastic gun case you could easily carry in a hunting pouch or pocket for those unexpected downpours.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use the electrical tape.one piece over the top when the barrel is dry.i dont want any moisture in my barrel period whether a muzzleloader, rifle , or shotgun.latley when i can i use a roll up waterproof gun case for carrying to and from the stand.one morning i had 8 inches of snow and i knew it was going to be over at sun up.i sat in my stand until the storm was over than i pulled my nice dry gun out of the case.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

also at the dollar store they sell a suit bag with zipper. it fits most guns nice.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

The main thing to remember is nothing should ever be in the barrel end to keep moisture out. This is no lie.. I once saw a person with a cork in the end of the barrel. He claimed he pulled the cork before he would ever shoot, and for his sake I sure hope so. Finger cots (extra large size) work very good and you do not need to remove them. When you shoot, the pressure in front of the projectile will blow that out.

Also, at the end of the day, be sure and remove that finger cot, tape, what ever and be sure to wipe the barrel off with a patch and gun oil. Also it does not hurt to swab the barrel with an oil patch as there will be some moisture in that area and you are asking for rust if you do not remove that.

I have used finger cots for years. Do they work? One morning I fell (actually I think I was pushed) into a creek I could not see because of ice and snow. Ice covered snow disappears fast and suddenly. My rifle actually went under the water. It was a Renegade with a finger cot on one end, and handi wrap over the #11 cap on the other. I walked back to the house to change into dry clothes of course and at the house decided to fire the rifle off if it would go. If fired off just fine.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

CVA use to make a a ballon type cover for blackpowder guns .
Charlie
Old 08-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Where can I find finger cots?

Quick Reply: Tape on the end of the barrel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.