Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 sleeping antelope(pics) >

sleeping antelope(pics)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sleeping antelope(pics)

Old 08-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: sleeping antelope(pics)

Cool pics
Old 08-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the cool pics! That's a NICE buck!
Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

excellent pictures... that is a nice looking goat. Have you ever hunted them? I ate antelope once many years ago and it was very good. Had a kind of wild taste to it, but it was grilled and very good and tender. I have never hunted one of them though. I heard they are hard to get close to but you seemed to have no problem.

Again, nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Gives the rest of us something to dream about.
The only times I found it difficult to get near a goat was when I was hunting them! They seem to know...............

Once when I was skinningout a big mulie I had hung up at the barnat Ojo De La Gallina Ranch in New Mexico, several antelope came up to where I was working and stood there watching me skin it. They are very curious critters, and will often come right up to a person to see what's happening! If not hunted or harassed, they can become quite tame.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Very nice pics. Thats something you dont catch on film everyday...
Old 08-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pioneer,

Although antelope are reknowned for having great eyesight, I have had friends tell me that they actually are far-sighted. Do you have an opinion on that?? That they can see great at distance but not too well up close. My one friend said he has snuck clear up on them as you did except with the last couple of yards in their plain sight. I am not sure if he was full of bs or not. He swore to it. I've only killed one and although I snuck up on him, I used land countours to hide myself. I got about as close as you did (plus another 150 yds)
thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

They're funny like Bighorn Sheep in the way that you can be sneaky [flat as a snake's belly in a wagon rut]one time and have the whole herd eyeballing you from a mile or more away and the next time you shoot one at 25 yards and have the survivors stand there or walk right up to you while gutting the first.Strange things sometimes happen.I was pushing a 1/4 section one time for moosefor a buddy and had a mulie doe tag on me .So I told my partner not to leave his stand if he heard me shoot that I was just planting a doe.Part way through the push I shot a big doe, then jumped a moose that he shot.Dragged my doe over to the moose and began the knife work.I'll be darned if 20min later a group of mulies came within 50 yards of the kill site and stood there while another one hit the turf.Buddy shot his deer using the dead moose for a rest.We where out of tags by 0800 opening morning..........never happened since.....Harold
Old 08-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool pics and great story!

Tom