Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Last minute advice?? >

Last minute advice??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Last minute advice??

Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Last minute advice??

Dad and I are going to shoot our new Muzzleloaders for the first time tommorow. Been out of ML gamesince the flintlock and loose powder days in the 80's. We both have Traditions xlt pursuits new in the box. Any last minute advice??
Old 07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Last minute advice??

Any last minute advice??
Be careful.
Shoot straight.
Don't load any dry holes.
Have fun.
Love often.
Don't lie.
Check the pressure on your tires.
Duck!
etc., etc., etc.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Remember to remove your ramrod from the barrel before shooting

XLT is a damn nice rifle. I handled one with the thumbhole stock and fell in love with it.
What do you plan on shooting out of it?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

CLEAN them thoroughly before going to the range. Remove any oils from the bores with alcohol patches before loading them. Have fun, be safe - keep charges at a sane level.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks yeah Frontier it's the thumbhole model. I dunno yet. I'm gonna stop at the shop tonight. I mean they'll recommend something I was just hoping to get some advice here too...
Old 07-27-2007, 01:08 PM

I'd start off with a pound of triple 7, start at 70 grains and work your way up. Im not exactly sure what the traditions max load is for triple 7, so read your manual. I'd also try some hornady great plains bullets. 70-80 grains triple 7 with a 385 grain great plains bullet should be great. I use CCI primers.Its best to buy an assortment and once you zero in with one load, swap primers and see if they help tighten the groups or if it opens them up. If you are recoil sensitive, the Limbsaver recoil pad is awesome. I put 1 on my rifle and put one on my fathers rifle.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Get some 240 grain XTP and a pound of Triple Se7en 2f. Start with 80 grains and see what kind of groups that rifle shoots. I think you will be surprised. Normally, most of the packaged sabots like the XTPs, Cheap Shots, Shockwaves, will get you started and shoot very good. It's going to be a matter of finding the right projectile and powder combination.

So my advise to you is; take notes of the loads that shoot well and those that don't. Follow all recommendations of the manufacturer, swab between shots and be sure to run some dry patches also. Most of all if the rifle does not shoot to your expectations the first time out, do not get frustrated. Don't start adjusting the sights chasing bullet holes on the paper. This trip should be more of a learning experience to get used to your rifle.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys good stuff! Dad is big into reloading for centerfire rifles so he is a fanatic about tracking loads and bullets etc.I'll check in the AM for any new posts and let ya know how it all goes Monday.. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dad is big into reloading for centerfire rifles so he is a fanatic about tracking loads and bullets etc
That's a good thing. On a serious note. Buy a big pack of targets you like. Shoot at least 3-shot groups (5 is better). Record the date, range, bullet, powder, andprimer on each target right after you shoot, and keep the target in a file folder or large envelope marked to identify the gun.

There's nothing more usefulthan being able to compare targets after several range sessions. There's nothing worse than trying to remember if you tried a certainload before, and/or how it shot.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Be careful, be safe, and enjoy the day with your Father.

Quick Reply: Last minute advice??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.