Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bighorn

Old 07-22-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Bighorn

I seen a Knight Bighorn at the pawn shop. I hear they are good shooters. I was just wondering how are they clean?? Its got the camo stock and stainless steel barrel, I think I can get it for 250.00It felt good when I aimed it and I know Knight makes a good rifle.Just wondering .also any one buy a rifle off of Buds Gun auction. They have some guns I was Interested in.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Bighorn

I wouldnt do more than $200.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Okie48

http://www.knightrifles.com/catalog.aspx?catid=Bighorn

The "Bighorn" is certainly a versitile rifle. The stainless steel GM barrel is one of the best barrels out there - exceeds any of the less expensive imports.

Cleaning? They all have their little quirks - Cayugad I am sure will respond to this string also, I believe he has a couple Knights so he will be able to add more to the cleaning thoughts...

Some of these older versitile guns are retaining their value, more than you would think, so when it comes to price you will have to make that call.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The Knight Bighorn is one of Knight's workhorse rifles.As for cleaning it, all rifles have to be cleaned. Some take longer then others, but the older Knightsare not hard to clean. The Bighorn is a hammer/striker system rifle, like my Wolverine is. I personally do not find them hard to clean. You will find the ignition very fast, the double safety system very safe and the fit and balance excellent. The Timney trigger is an excellent one, and they normally break crisp and clean. And like mentioned, you have a Green Mountain Stainless Steel barrel. They are one of the better barrels out there. A stainless barrel will be a plus in the rifle.

Before you decidepurchase that rifle check it over close. Pull the cocking knob back and make sure that operates smooth and locks back tight. Check the safety located on the cocking knob. Make sure it moves freely in and out by turning it. Turned all the way out the rifle will fire and strike the cap. Turned in, you can dry fire the rifle and it will not harm it because the hammer can not strike the nipple (in the case of the #11 ignition or the primer in the 209 ignition) or breech plug. Dry fire it with the safety turned in. See how the trigger feels and how fast the hammer goes forward. This will give you an indication of the hammer spring strength.

Remove the breech plug and look through that barrel. Hold it up to the light and look down the barrel. You should spot any problems in the bore if there are any. Look for rusting and pitting in the barrel. If there are any signs of such, then do not purchase it. If all of this looks good and you like the rifle, then offer the pawn shop $200.00. If they tell you NO, point out that it is a discontinued model, you can get them on line cheaper then $250.00, and for a little more money you can get the new Knight Rolling block rifle. (which is a definite other option you might want to examine). If they still say NO, then decide how bad you want the rifle.They are basing their price on the Knight name and the stainless steel barrel with the camo stock.

As for Buds Gun Auction, check his past sales for negative responses. See what the past buyers claim about him. If any of the remarks make you uneasy, then do not purchase from him. Go with your gut instinct.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:05 PM

ThanksCayugad.. Yourinput means alot . I don't think the pawn shot will go down on their price. I have drawn a North Dakota muzzle loader tag this year. I borrowed$1,000 dollars fom my 401k at work to get a muzzy. I hunted with a Bowtech bow for years. I hurt my shoulder and can't pull it back anymore. I'm switching to black powder. I'm thinking a Knight or a TC. The only store in Bismarck that sells muzzle loaders is Scheels. They have the Triumph, but no Knight Rolling Block. They also have some Omegas. I don't know if anyone hasfired a Triumph but I put it to my shoulder and it really felt comfortable. So I think it will probably be a Omega or the Triumph.

Thank you to everyone that has written to me.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Okie48

The Omega is certainly a good gun, I have one myself and there certainly are others out there that are very happy with their Omega's - but I really think it's future is limited to be replaced by the Triumph. I have not shot or handled a Triumph - so I am no help there.

If you are ever planning on shooting conicals - they might be a problem in a TC with a QLA muzzle. I have not ever shot any conicals from mine, but several people report that they do not do that well...

Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Dominant Buck

North Dakota usually means some long shots.. right? The Triumph would probably be a great choice for your muzzleloader. I am sure with Shockwaves and 150 grains of pellets or 120 grains of loose powder it would be a good rifle. With a scope you would have a real long range rifle. Also you would have the latest stuff out there for when you get the urge for another one. Which is going to happen..

I've seen some of Sabotloaders target results from his Omega and they were very impressive. I have a Black Diamond XR which is old technology in muzzleloaders, butI would be hard pressed to find a better shooting muzzleloader. Thompson Center is a good rifle. So is Knight.

The problem with pawn shops and some auctions is, they want to sell it but they do not want to deal. You see auctions where you can buy it now for $240.00 and their starting bid is $230.00. That's not an auction, that's an outright sale.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought a Knight Long Range Hunter from Bud's. The rifle was not as advertised. Bud's put the wrong picture with the rifle they sold. I believe it was an honest mistake. They said they would take it back, and give me a full refund. I guess that is all I could ask for. However I elected to keep it. IMO they should have offered some compensation for their mistake, but they did not offer any. I also had to call them three times, they said they would return my calls but they did not. Overall I would rate their service on the bottom end, but the guys were friendly, and in no way rude-probably just real busy. Tom.