Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking for some advice on my first bLack powder >

Looking for some advice on my first bLack powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for some advice on my first bLack powder

Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Looking for some advice on my first bLack powder

I am looking to buy my first Black Powder rifle. I was looking at the cva wolf, and the cva kodiak. My budget is limited, and I was wondering if any of you guys own one of these, and weather or not you are happy with it? Also, if you have any suggestionsfor a differentrifle in or about the same price range? $175.00-$275.00
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Looking for some advice on my first bLack powder

.50 caliber NEF Sidekick might also be one to look at. They are said to have great out of the box accuracy as well. I do not own any of the rifles mentioned...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 PM

Cayugad-- Thanks for the info! I'll check it out, and I appreciate the reply.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

You can find Knight Wolverines 209's NIB on auction sites that are in your price range.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=7855701
Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=8090858
This is a #11 gun but its a good deal in my opinion.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: youngbuck001

I am looking to buy my first Black Powder rifle. I was looking at the cva wolf, and the cva kodiak. My budget is limited, and I was wondering if any of you guys own one of these, and weather or not you are happy with it? Also, if you have any suggestionsfor a differentrifle in or about the same price range? $175.00-$275.00
Thanks!
You might want to consider a used gun, most of the ones I have bought and seen have been little used. Look here, they allow 3 days to test/shoot the gun and return it cleaned of course, if your not satisfied. Several on this board have bought rifles from them and have been happy. When they have a Renegade FL I will buy from them (I see they have 3 now that I need to call about, I check about every 2 months). Here is URL:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/813usedblkpowderguns.htm

the 010407 Knight Disc Elite is a buy at $225. Several good guns on this site. I believe CO means consignment. Also read these pages on "Selecting and Buying MLers" for how to select a gun:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

Chap Gleason
Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Nimrodder

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8090858
This is a #11 gun but its a good deal in my opinion.
I own one of these Wolverine LK-93 rifles in .50 caliber. They are a real meat and potatoes kind of rifle. Don't let the #11 cap scare you off. These are fast handling, positive ignition, great shooting little rifles. I have a 3-9x40 scope on mine and it will really put the lead down range. Out to 100 yards, this is a fine hunting rifle. Although it is said to be able to hand 120 grains of 2f powder, the best accuracy comes between 80-100 grains of loose powder depending on the projectile. They make a great stalking rifle, tree stand rifle, have great fiber optic sights, a Green Mountain Barrel, Timney trigger, and double safety for when you want to climb around on things and not unload.

They might take a little longer to clean then say an Omega, but with proper care, this is basically all the rifle you would ever need for about anything. Mine does not shoot pure lead conicals well, but it does shoot Saber Tooth conicals in 300 grain real well with 80 grains of powder.

The only thing I dislike about this auction is.. its not an auction. It is a person with a supply of these rifles selling them off, for what they were selling forthree years ago. They are just using an auction site to get rid of their supply. I bought mine about three years ago for $129.00 (as I remember) I have seen these rifles sold for much less then this on auction sites. Also the rifle shown has that light weight stock, so this little 22" barrel might really snort when you touch it off ona heavy load.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

youngbuck001

Just my personal opion, please understand this, but do not buy a Neff - there are better guns out there for better prices.

The Neff ignition system is dirty and unless they have changed the barrel, the rflings are deep and normally very rough - the rough part is not a problem that can be smoothed out.

Another thing I might suggest is a gun, a beginning gun, that you shoot the different ignition systems with, in some states such as mine you can not use a 209 ignition. I would also suggest maybe you look at a gun that can also fire conicals well. I think for a starting gun get something as versitile as you can get...

Another check your state regs, what will they allow you to use.

One last thought, do not overlook a sidehammer percussion they are/can bein-expensive and are an excellent place to start.

Cayugad has an excellent write up on getting started -send him a PM, I am sure he will send you a copy.

Good luck - shooting ML's is addictive though - you should know that going in....
Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should really take a look at the new Knight KRB7 rolling block. Initial reports are outstanding. Here is a link that has them for $278, still within your buget if you add $3. I don't think you will find a better gun out there at that price. May be able to find them cheaper elsewhere. This was just the first link I found.

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/knight.htm
Old 07-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

You should really take a look at the new Knight KRB7 rolling block. Initial reports are outstanding. Here is a link that has them for $278, still within your buget if you add $3. I don't think you will find a better gun out there at that price. May be able to find them cheaper elsewhere. This was just the first link I found.

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/knight.htm
That would be an excellent deal for a new rolling block. Bryce Towley (sp) had a write up on this rifle in American Riflemen 2 issues ago, it was a good write up. Can't go wrong with a Knight. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Looking for some advice on my first bLack powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.