Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lock wont stay in place >

Lock wont stay in place

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lock wont stay in place

Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Lock wont stay in place

Im putting the mountain rifle back together due to a rainy day and i put the lock into the stock and pulled the hammer back, went into half cock but when i pulled it into the fire position, it sometimes holds but if i barely hit the back of the "hammer" it falls forward and then wont hold. If i take the lock out, everything works perfect. Im thinking my fly is hanging up on something. Where else should i look for problems?

Just finished and once its on half cock, i set the the trigger, pull the hammer the rest of the way back and it will hold. I'll be taking a look at the trigger and the fly.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lock wont stay in place

Black the lock with a candle or gunsmith black and see if their is any wood pressing on the tumbler or the sear if their is relieve it, if that is not it then look at the position of the trigger mechanism see if the sear is being partly depressed you may have to shim the trigger mechanism to give the sear more clearance. Lee
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM

I'll do that when i go to clean the rifle. Right now its loaded and time to bust her cherry
Old 07-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is akso possable to over tighten and bow the lock plate. Lee
Old 07-19-2007, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Im putting the mountain rifle back together due to a rainy day and i put the lock into the stock and pulled the hammer back, went into half cock but when i pulled it into the fire position, it sometimes holds but if i barely hit the back of the "hammer" it falls forward and then wont hold. If i take the lock out, everything works perfect. Im thinking my fly is hanging up on something. Where else should i look for problems?

Just finished and once its on half cock, i set the the trigger, pull the hammer the rest of the way back and it will hold. I'll be taking a look at the trigger and the fly.
Since it has a double-set trigger, I was going to ask if you had tried putting in the lock withthe trigger setbefore installing the lock - if not, try doing this withthe hammer all the way forward. Setting thetrigger is done so that the sear bar has an unobstructed hole to go into and you then will have the lock fully installed before you permit the trigger to come up into the sear recess and touch the sear bar.

Perhaps this is what is happening when you installed the lock with it at half cock and the trigger in the set position. In any case, you don't want anything to interfere with the sear bar as you install the lock........
Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks Eldegello, it works perfectly now. Now lemme find a big hole to put my head in.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Thanks Eldegello, it works perfectly now. Now lemme find a big hole to put my head in.
Good! We all learn this, mostly by trying to put the lock back in with the trigger bar in the way. I've done this too many times to count - I will learn some day! maybe..... With a regular non-setting trigger, you have to push the trigger forward as far as it will go in the trigger guard to get that bar out of the way!