Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shooting bench ?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Spike

Default shooting bench ?

Iam looking to buy a rest shooting bench but I am not sure which one the best to buy under 55 dlrs. I am budgeted and I dont shoot often..Only once set up for a day and also annually before deer season comes .. Anyone have one like http://www.exploreproducts.com/mtm-predator-shootingrest.htmor any suggestion best buy under 55 dlrs ?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:31 AM

Default RE: shooting bench ?

Im sure that would work fine. However, the plastic rests usually are pretty light and a sand bag would help to keep things steady. I'd probably just buy a couple sand bags, and then fill it up with sand. I prefer sandbags over my plastic rest.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=094-401298&fromsearch=yes

This is the rest I just bought a month ago. It was on sale for $22.95 I think it was. Once you get used to it (and it does take some getting used to) the rest actually works real good. Also it is light weight and easy to move around. With the front ramp extended out, it will stand in a corner on its own and takes up little to no space. The thing you need to learn to work around is the handle on the back of it.

Also I would think that the one you pointed out would work real well also. I do not even sand bag this one. I figure I can absord the recoil of the rifle like always.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Im sure that would work fine. However, the plastic rests usually are pretty light and a sand bag would help to keep things steady. I'd probably just buy a couple sand bags, and then fill it up with sand. I prefer sandbags over my plastic rest.
I bought some empty leather covered canvas shooting bags and filled them with sand,they work well. I shoot off thetailgate of my truck for a shooting rest, sitting on a chair. Cost was about $20 from Cabelas. I have one of the plastic jobs, but as Cayugad said it doesnt allow for you to hold your rifle, so I use that for cleaning or adjusting the rifle.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's to bad that you're budget is so limited. I just bought a great Inventive Technology bench and shooting vise! Top of the line and it didn't really cost that much more than you're willing to spend. Of course I wonder, WHY buy a cheap one now andonly torealize that you need to buy a better quality bench later? Spend just a bit more the first time and one that will last as long as you could even need it.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

PersonallyI do not have a problem with an inexpensive bench rest. Spend what you feel comfortable with and what will do the job for you. Now granted, one of those top of the line rests that do everything but pull the trigger on the rifle might be real nice for working up loads and for extreme distances, but this simple $22.00 one I have works just fine for me. Although, Il-cornfed that sure is a nice setup you have there. I bet that can produce some excellent groups at extreme distances.