Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Mountain rifle almost done. >

Mountain rifle almost done.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Mountain rifle almost done.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Mountain rifle almost done.

Heres the mountain rifle in 2 coats of Tru oil. Im going to leave it outside until this evening and then bring it back in and hit it with some steel wool. I want atleast 6-8 thin coats of tru oil on it. I also finished the cheek piece this morning. Its amazing that wood grain was under there when i stripped the old ugly stain off. What a difference from when i first bought the rifle lol. Worth $175 shipped? I believe so!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mountain rifle almost done.

WOW!! that is looking real nice. It will look excellent when it is finished. What did you use to remove the old finish? Or did you just sand it down?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:10 PM

Sand paper and then some areas that wouldnt come out, i bleached. Luckily the original owner left a lot of wood when he built it, so i had lots to work with. The cheek piece only took me 15 minutes to sand/file out into shape. Should hopefully be done by thursday.

Did some shooting with the deer creek to test out my new possibles bag. Yep, #2 shot i loaded, the patch folded over the little nub on the ramrod and when i was pulling it, it snapped. So now i need to get a ramrod for that. From now on, i'll use my synthetic ramrod while on the range. Shot great as usual. Now im getting ansy to shoot that .54
Old 07-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

That looks great! What twist is that rifle and was the bore in good condition? Sounds/looks like you got a good deal. Congratulations.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM

I think its a slow twist, 1:60 or 1:66. Bore is in New condition for one reason. Its never been fired
I have some 348 grain powerbelts coming in, so im going to put the barrel twist to the test and see what i got in there. Hope to shoot PRB this friday.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

If it's a newer gun it should be 1:48 and that could make you very happy!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 PM

2002 from what the #'s say on the barrel. Ohhhh now you got me all excited darn you!

As long as she will shoot a PRB good, i'll be happy.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Power Belts in a Flintlock
Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Ive done it in my traditions flintlock! lol. Sounds silly, but its gotta be tried!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 AM

So much for the 1:48 twist. CVA emailed back and told me that the big bore mountain rifles carry a 1:66 twist.

Quick Reply: Mountain rifle almost done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.