Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 PRBs & NewEnglander >

PRBs & NewEnglander

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PRBs & NewEnglander

Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PRBs & NewEnglander

I've owned a T/C NewEnglander .50 for several years now but never could get really good accuracy with round balls. Found some .490 balls & lubed patches while I was cleaning off my bench this morning and decided to try them this evening. I was trying light loads before so I decided to try something with a bit more thump. My 7 year old wanted to shoot the rifle, so I loaded 20gr fffg Goex and let him try it. He shot a couple of times (25 yard target) so I finally got my turn. I dumped in 80 gr fffg and squeezed a round off. Dead center and 1" high at 25 yards. I shot two more rounds to see if it would put them close - and it did! Less than a 1" group with peep sights and my old eyes has me encouraged.
Looks like I will be casting a few more .490 RBsand heading back to the range before hunting season!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:18 PM

Default RE: PRBs & NewEnglander

Try buying some store bought speer or hornady .490 roundballs. Ive casted my own before but always had to use heavy charges like you to get them to group.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a new englander and it shoots great with patch round balls and 370 grain maxi balls. i like 70 grains of pyrodex. one time i was shooting the center out of pogs at 25 yards agains a guy with a scope. i kept up with the scope guy very well. my new englander hates sabots though. i dont think its safe to go down to 20 grains of powder though. i was told 50 grains should be the lowest. i dont know if a bullet could wedge in the barrel with 20 grains. maybe someone knows?. i will say since i went from 80 grains down to 70 my accuracy improved a bunch. glad to see your new englander is shooting well. i had a peep site on mine for a while and didnt like it. i went back to the regular "v" site. i could see better in low light conditions.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM

Ive shot 30-40 rounds out of my traditions just using 20 grains of fffg goex. Never had any problems. The rabbits are the receiving end, did.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been shooting my .54 caliber New Englander with 90 grains of powder and a patched roundball. So far the accuracy has been exceptional. I am still getting used to the rifle, so I will not state that it is the best it will get, but it is hunting quality already and only the third time to the range..
Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I first got the rifle it was very accurate. Several thingshappened to interfere with my shooting over the next few years and by the time I got back to doing much shooting I had forgotten all the load combinations the rifle liked. Now that I have some time to get out again I'm finding out that my eyes aren't as good as they were 10 or 15 years ago. I tried a scope on the NewEnglander and discovered the rifle is still capable of very good accuracy, but just don't like a scope on a sidelock. I finally selected the "peep" sights as my best option for seeing both the sights and the target at the same time. 1" at 25 yards isn't great, but for my eyes and after several years of not much shooting it's encouraging. What's even more encouraging (for that rifle as a hunting rifle possibility) is that with 80 grains of ffg Goex and a 325 grain Lee REAL it's close to being the same point of impact as with the round ball and 80 grains of fffg Goex. The ball is a little high but I'm hoping with some load adjustment I can get them close enough to be able to shoot either without adjusting sights. I did try one shot at an old plastic quart oil bottle at 100 yards yesterday - and actually hit it!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Do you remember where you bought the base for the scope. I would like to mount a 1X scope on my New Englander, and a 3-9X40 just to prove something to myself about accuracy with traditional rifles.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Dave
Kwick Site has a base and ring for your New Englander 29.95 just do a google search. You can order them direct from the company
Old 07-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Do you remember where you bought the base for the scope. I would like to mount a 1X scope on my New Englander, and a 3-9X40 just to prove something to myself about accuracy with traditional rifles.
I bought it through T/C's custom shop. PM me if you're interested in it and I'll make you a deal on it.