Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Elk loads

Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Elk loads

I drew an elk tag for this fall and was curious about what loads you consider best. I've used 250 gr Shockwaves with 100 gr Pyrodex in my Omega for Mule Deer. I've had great luck shooting good groups with it. I have a buddy that says I should shoot at least 300 gr and bump up the amount of powder for elk. What opinion do you guys have?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:39 PM

Default RE: Elk loads

I'd say your friend is right about the bullet... Your powder charge is perfect. My dad will be using his cabelas hawken with a 348 grain powerbelt and 90 grains pyrodex RS for his elk hunt this year.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

krjens

Well, I use a 300 grain .458 (45-70) NoslerPartition Protected Point, fueled with 100 grains of T7-2f in an MMP .458/50 Orange sabot, from my Omega, 110 grains from the Remingtons and the White Ultra-Mag.

Accuracy is really very good and the bullet certainly will stay together and penetrate - most often a pass through.

The only problem is the expense of the Nosler Bullet now days, my other option is a 300 .452 Speer Gold Dot. It is a bonded bullet and has a really decent BC for a pistol bullet.

Good luck in your choice...

Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 PM

I'd say your friend is right. Go with a 300gr bullet; shockwaves would work fine, you might go for the bonded ones, too. A heavier powder charge won't be necessary, but 120gr+ RS would be ideal. Premium bullets like Barnes, Nosler, A Frames would be great, but again, not necessary.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you use the 250 Shock Wave get some of the bonded ones;they penatrate much more; the regular SW250 are very good for deer but they dont penatrate like the bonded ones of course the bonded ones dont open as much or as fast which makes them better for elk but not as good for deer. Lee
Old 07-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

If your omega will shoot them well, a 300 gr Barnes expander is a great bullet. If you want somethingless expensive, but with plenty of thump, try a 375 gr. buffalo sabot.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have listed this load here before. It is a killer on both ends. I shoot 120 grains of 3F blackpowder with a 525 grain cast bullet. I cast it from a 50 caliber RCBS Adjustable Hotchkiss Mold. The results are devastating to an elk. I do not know how much energy it generates, but I would have no problem shooting an elk at 200 yards with it. I have killed elk at 140 yards with this load. If you are recoil sensitive then DO NOT shoot this load. Tom.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:36 PM

My maximum elk load is similar to Sabotloader's: 100 grains 777FFGbut with 300 grain bonded core Shockwave in a Harvester (not crush rib) sabot in my Omega. It's got healthy recoil but gets the job done. Here in New Mexico the shots can be long, hence mypreference forpolymer tipped bullets like Shockwaves. A bonded core bullet is also extra insurance that you can get enough penetration to reach the elk's boiler room.

I formerlyused up to 120 grainsBM3 but can't getthe stuffany longer. Grrrr! 777 gets the nod now, annoying crud ring or not.

Hasenpfeffer

Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: krjens

I drew an elk tag for this fall and was curious about what loads you consider best. I've used 250 gr Shockwaves with 100 gr Pyrodex in my Omega for Mule Deer. I've had great luck shooting good groups with it. I have a buddy that says I should shoot at least 300 gr and bump up the amount of powder for elk. What opinion do you guys have?
For long range ML Elk hunting the following bullets are all good or excellent:
TheBarnes TMZ 290 is an excellent bullet.
The Parker BallisticExtreme 275g is an excellent bullet.
The 300g bonded TC SW is excellent as is the Hornady SST.
Also the Harvester 300g Scropion PT Gold isgood.
The Knight Ultimate Slam 285g is an excellent bullet (made by Barnes)
Those are the bullets Ihave been testing inaSavage Smokeless Powder ML, but they should workin anOmega with 90 to 110g of 777.The 300g give deeper penetraton, the aero tip onthese bullets give the extra distance--I figure 200 yards for elk--max. The bullets are bonded or jacketed so they hold together and allow for deep penetraton.

You will have to play with different sabots, I use crushed rib sabots in my Omega and they work well ---2.5 to 3" groups a 100 yards with Nosler Partitions and easy to load.So buy a bag of MMP-12, MMP-24 and MMP3petal Ez load, also the crushed rib.You should be able to find a load from these bullets. I can send you three of each type of bullet if you would like totest them in your Omega, cost would be $1/bullet you pay the shipping also. PMme if you would like to do that. Best wishes fortrying to get yourelk load. Chap Gleason

Old 07-10-2007, 10:40 AM

Thanks for all the input. I'll go put these suggestions a try and see what works best. I really appreciate your help!!!!!

Quick Reply: Elk loads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.