Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Advice needed

Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Advice needed

Ok,

My son was lucky enough to draw a NR Unit 17 NM Either sex Elk tag. A handful of tags and hes one of the lucky ones.

Now the questions. Im mainly a bowhunter with 25+ years doing that. I have some gun experience and a little muzzleloader. I have a Knight that was given to me a couple years ago but I cant get this thing to group at all.

Im looking to purchase a Muzzleloader for my son for his hunt. I would like to go inline and set up a scope on it. Would like one that groups good and want him to start shooting here come July. Hes 13 years old but a big kid (5ft 8 and 145 pounds) I dont want to break the pocket book but would like something dependable and decent.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Don

[email protected]

Old 06-25-2007, 07:51 PM

Default RE: Advice needed

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/53337

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/53305

Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM

ah shoot, i just noticed the cva kodiak in that link was a .45
Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Don K

Ok,

My son was lucky enough to draw a NR Unit 17 NM Either sex Elk tag. A handful of tags and hes one of the lucky ones.

Now the questions. Im mainly a bowhunter with 25+ years doing that. I have some gun experience and a little muzzleloader. I have a Knight that was given to me a couple years ago but I cant get this thing to group at all.

Im looking to purchase a Muzzleloader for my son for his hunt. I would like to go inline and set up a scope on it. Would like one that groups good and want him to start shooting here come July. Hes 13 years old but a big kid (5ft 8 and 145 pounds) I dont want to break the pocket book but would like something dependable and decent.

Don

[email protected]

[hr]

I am going to take it for granted that the area where he was picked, a sabot can be used. I do not know the regulations.

Something you might want to consider. This is probably a once in a life time hunt for you and your son. Don't blow it pinching pennies on a barginmuzzleloader. Get the best that you can afford. Not that some of the cheaper rifles will not shoot, because they will. But for a little more money, you would have a rifle that your son could depend on the rest of his life.

Also, your Knight should be a good rifle. I can not understand why it would not group. Maybe you need to try some other combinations. I would be contacting Knight Rifles about it and see what they have to say if you have tried a number of things and it just plain will not shoot.

The CVA Optima is a good rifle. Not my first choice mind you, but it is a good rifle.

Personally for something this important, instead of buying blind off the internet, take your son to a store where muzzleloaders are sold and have him shoulder different rifles. He needs one that will fit well and one he is comfortable to hold. Consider weight of the rifle for the all day hikes, balance of the rifle, and fit of the stock.

A .50 caliber would be recommended. I would look at Thompson Center, Knight, or some of the BPI brands. Also there are some made by New England Firearms called the sidekick. Its not pretty, but they are good shooters.

Knight just came out with a rolling block model that really looks interesting. T/C also has the Triumph out. The Omega is still a hard to beat rifle. Check auction sites if you want to save some money. You can pick them up reasonable there. The T/C Omega should be coming down in price with the introduction of the new models. Watch for sales. They are good shooters. Especially with sabots.

As for the scope, get a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm. It has great eye relief, $139.00 price tag, excellent clarity, life time guarantee, and they are tuff. This is where you could save a little money and still have some quality optics.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM

Ok,

Don

[email protected]

what kind of distance reqirements are you looking for? I think that will dictate the $$$ requirement.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advice so far.

Im not saying I want to go the cheapest route I just dont want to dump 8 or 900 on a muzzleloader. After reading these threads on here the TC Triumph looks real nice. I think its a great Idea on going to the local store and having him try one on his shoulder. I just dont want a salesman trying to sell us something we dont need.

Im thinking a 50 cal would be the way to go?

As far as the distance question Im not even sure how far a muzzleloader can shoot accuratly and take a elk.

Im reading through here and trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for the advice so far and keep it coming.

Thank You

Don
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 PM

What area of new mexico are you hunting? I know u said 17 but what town is that near? My brother in law and sister live in Raton. A scoped muzzleloader and the right bullet/powder combo can easily shoot 200+ yards if you do your part. You looking at using a sabot or a conical?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

there are some elk hunters that can tell you a lot more about the distance these smoke poles can kill an elk at. Of course a lot will depend on the load you work up. I am sure it will be a real good experience. I wish your son the best of luck and hope he shoots a new worlds record. Then you can drag it out!!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:37 PM

As cool as the Triumph looks, it is a first year model. Let's stick with the tried and true for such a rare hunting opportunity. A .50 caliber Omega your choice of stock and finish ($300-$500+) and a Nikon Omega Scope ($250). Oh yeah, Warne or Cabela's Maxima scope rings, $40.Leupoldwill workas well. I have 2X7 VX-1 on my Encore and it does just fine ($200).
Old 06-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok,

Don

[email protected]

First, as to why your Knight won't group. I have a Knight Disc, and it is one accurate rifle with 300g XTPs or 300g Nosler Partitions and 100g of 777 loose. My son has a Kight Long Range Hunter and it also is accurate with 100g of 777 pellets using an XTP 300g. I would try to shoot the factory recommended load, bullet, sabot, primer and see how it shoots. I have tried all these bullets in a Knight and you can see the groups for yourself:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/bullets_penetration_tests_for_mu.htm

I agree with Cayugad, that you can spend a bit more money (maybe $100 to $150 more) and get an excellent lifetime rifle. I started with a Knight Disc (origonal disc), then bought a TC Omega and then bought a Savage 10ML. I believe the TC Omega is an excellent rifle for sabot shooting, and I saw at Gander Mountain this past Sunday that they had the complete TC Omega kit for $327. That is a great deal. Put a $100 scope on it and you have a very accurate lifetime rifle. My reason for buying a TC are: lifetime warranty, easy to clean, no extra discs needed, hammer is exposed making it legal in some states, hammer is only thing you pull back to shoot it--which makes it easy for a young person to operate. If you can't shoot sabots try a Harvester Saber Tooth 300g:

http://www.harvesterbullets.com/sabertooth.htm

You can also shoot a heavy PowerBelt, but you can't hit bone/shoulder with them, therefore for a young person I would stay with the SaberTooth. My brother shoots these now and likes them.
Best wishes to you and your son in choosing and sighting in the rifle. It will be fun. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Advice needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.