Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hangfire update/  Found elk load! >

Hangfire update/ Found elk load!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hangfire update/ Found elk load!

Old 06-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hangfire update/ Found elk load!

Well, I got a chance to take myRenegade50 caliber Green Mt barrel out again that I was having the hangfires on. What I did different this time: 1) used cci #11 magnum primers and #2) Just used a spit patch between shots

Shot it about 40 times and it virtually eliminated the hangfires. Before,hangfires were3 out of 4 shots, now about every 5th shot, I got a very short, split second hangfire, though none seemed enough to affect accuracy. I meant to take isopropyl alcohol or windex, but forget, I will do that next time. I think I will also really ream out/clean out the channel.

I also found my elk load! Tried both pyrodex select and 777 ffg from 80 to 100 grains. Bullets I tried were 460 grain no excuses, 410 grain great plains, and 370 grain maxiballs. The powdernodwent to 777. With 90 grains of 777 and a 370 grain maxiball, I was getting 1" to 1 & 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. For me, that is outstanding! The search is over, come on September!

This session made me decide for sure that I will be taking my Renegade instead of my Omega this year. Think the Omega will have to wait until I get picked for Utah...... Not holding my breath.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hangfire update/ Found elk load!

With a piddly little load like that you'll have to limit yourself to elk under 1,500 lbs.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL. I think I can handle that!

For any out there that really think this is a light load, check out this link: http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July02.htm

Taylor recommends at least a score of 20 for elk. This load comes in at 37.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:06 PM

TX I for one am sorry to hear you wont be taking your omega this year as a fellow omega shooter.

I know you have had nothing but trouble trying to get conicals to shoot out of it. Just out of curiosity how did the maxihunters out of the omega? I am toying with the idea of trying some in mine.

On another note glad to hear you found your pet load.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my Omega, the Maxiballs (not maxihunters) were pretty good at 80 to 90 grains of pyrodexas well as powerbelts (338 platinums or 405 aerotips) at 90 to 110 grains (pyrodex).I could somewhat consistently get 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards with either. That is not bad foropen sights I guess, but I would occasionally get an 8 inch group.The powerbelts also shothalf way decent with 777 at 90-95 grains, but couldn't beat the crud ring. I didn't shoot at 100 yards today, but the first 3 shots from the Renegadeat 50 yards and 90 grains 777 were touching. Definately better than anything I was getting from my Omega.The other reason is that I got invited to a private ranch this year in Colorado. The owner of the ranchgave me the T/C Renegade years ago, so I was leaning that way anyway.

It may just be in my Omega, but it sure seems that conicals that are somewhat a tight fit and harder to load (No excuses, great plains, buffalo bullets) flew terrible from my Omega and the ones that loaded easy (powerbelts and Maxiballs) flew better.

And to be honest, I feel more confident with the 370 maxiball than either of the powerbelts. Don't get me wrong,I considereither the 338 platinum orthe 405 aerotip ok and I may hunt with them again, but the maxiball has a good track record on big game. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, I forgot to say thanks to all the guys who helped me with their suggestions!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it sounds like you have a real good load going there.That will really put a worldof hurt on about anything you want to hunt with it.

I shot a few maxiball out of the Lyman mold myself today. I was only shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en. I was using a .54 caliber Renegade and the 405 grain maxiball. In the photo I labeled them a 370 grains and now just remembered.. .54 caliber bigger bullet..

I also shot some 380 grain R.E.A.L. conicals with my homemade beeswax/castor oil lube. My old Renegade really likes the REAL's so I knew they would shoot a good group at 50 yards. Although the rifle was shooting a little to the left, so I corrected after the first three.

Good luck elk hunting.. I bet those would work real well on hogs and deer as well...

Old 06-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang it Cayugad, that's a fine group for REALs. If I could get that kind of group with my Mustang & REALs, it would be my #1 "go to" bullet. They're so cheap to shootwhen you mould your own. Maybe I need to try some of your home made lube.

How well do those 380s hold together at 100 yards?

Bye the way, did you ever pull the trigger on a chronograph? I'd love to know the velocity of that 380/70 load.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Dang it Cayugad, that's a fine group for REALs. If I could get that kind of group with my Mustang & REALs, it would be my #1 "go to" bullet. They're so cheap to shootwhen you mould your own. Maybe I need to try some of your home made lube.

How well do those 380s hold together at 100 yards?

Bye the way, did you ever pull the trigger on a chronograph? I'd love to know the velocity of that 380/70 load.

[hr]

I've never shot the REALs at 100 yards. I always considered them a shorter range projectile. My friend on the other hand shoots them out to 100 yards in his Hawkins. He likes the 300 grain better then the 380 grain. He's shot a number of deer, but has yet to have one not totally pass through. My rifle really does not care whether I shooter the lighter or not. My old Renegade is accurate with both of them.

I have not bought a chronograph. I was going to but bought another rifle instead this month. I have no idea how fast they are going but would guess them somewhere around 1300 fps. And again, that is just a guess. I base this on Sabotloader getting 1400 fps with 80 grains on a 460 grain Bull Shop. So these being lighter, and a little less powder, should not loose too much velocity. I do know they sure do a number on deer.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Cayugad, Hows that traditions hawken coming along?

Quick Reply: Hangfire update/ Found elk load!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.