Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega or Knight ??? >

Omega or Knight ???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega or Knight ???

Old 12-22-2002, 04:01 PM

Default Omega or Knight ???

I almost have it in my hands. The after x-mas sale is almost here...
This will be my first ML which I will use for whitetail. Maybe elk or bear later on in life. For the same price I can get a Knight Magnum Disc Stainless Black or a T/c Omega stainless/hardwoods(camo) $439.00.

I Like:
Omega
1) 28" barrel
2) pivot action breech block
3) camo

Knight
1) option of no.11 percussion caps.
2) adjustable trigger
3) excellant sealed breach assembly

I dont like:
Omega
1) 209 only

Knight
1) black only for the same price

If limited to the 209 how great are my retrictions?
How old is the Omega.50? Is it new in 2002?

Thanks for the help. I check this board nightly.

Old 12-22-2002, 05:35 PM

Default RE: Omega or Knight ???

I CAN'T SPEAK FOR THE KNIGHT ML....BUT I HAVE THE TC OMEGA 50 CAL.AND IT SEEMS TO BE A FINE ML....I DON'T QUIET UNDERSTAND YOUR RESTRICTION QUESTION ABOUT THE 209 PRIMER....THE 209 PRIMER WORKS GREAT AND HAS PLENTY OF FIRE POWER... I JUST GOT MY OMEGA THIS YEAR BUT I'M SURE THEY WERE OUT LAST YEAR... I HAD THE TC BLACKDIAMOND LAST YEAR,ALSO A FINE ML...GOOD LUCK ON YOUR CHOICE EITHER ONE WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD ML....

THE OLDER I GET... THE OLDER... OLD IS.....
Old 12-22-2002, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 28 inch barrel idea. Either rifle should be a good choice.

Old 12-22-2002, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are large, look hard at that Omega before buying. The trigger guard doesn't leave much finger room and can hurt if shooting heavy loads. The length of pull is also shorter than might be pleasant. Handle both rifles live and in person before buying. You might also do a search for the White Model 98 on GunBroker auction. SplitFire has some on the block at very good pricing. Excellent rifles!
Old 12-22-2002, 08:56 PM

No restrictions with the #209 primers. A #209 has twice the ignition capability of #11. If you could use a #209 I can see little reason you would want to do otherwise.

I have no personal experience with either ML, but from what I have heard/read I would choose the Omega for simplicity, that is if it fits you.
Old 12-25-2002, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Usually, when I am deer hunting, I have layers of clothes on. The short length of pull might be a plus.

Old 12-25-2002, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can speak for the Knight DISC and say that it is one heck of a rifle. Some people don't like the DISC's because they force you to have one more loading component, but I don't find it a problem. DISC's can be bought in packs of 100 for $5, and can usually be reused once or twice while target shooting (new ones for hunting though). What I like about the DISC system is both the sealing effect of the breach (the Omega's breach block should seal it up pretty well too), and that once the DISC's are loaded with primers it makes priming and de-priming very easy without the need for a capper. I'm a big guy with big hands, and I find it very hard to handle loose primers/caps with gloved hands in the cold when you're desperately trying to get off that second shot on a buck that's too stupid to run away when hit the first time. I just keep five loaded disc's in a film canister with cotton stuffed on the bottom (to silence them).

However, if I were in the market for another ML, I'd still seriously consider taking the Omega home. It's a very nice rifle and I like the 28" barrel. T/C's are very good ML's. I've owned a T/C Hawkin (now my brother's) and my Dad owns a T/C White Mountain Carbine. Both are exceptional quality guns.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 12-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys will get a real kick out of those Omegas!
Old 12-25-2002, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every body i know has a knight and they all will shoot 2" groups or better at a 100 yards. I'll stick with the knight. Knight brought you the first in line that shoots 209 primers. I'll give them my buisness!!!!!

Old 12-26-2002, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Knight Bighorn. Why can't i have an Omega too? Merry Christmas to me!

Quick Reply: Omega or Knight ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.