Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 777 magnum pellets? >

777 magnum pellets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 magnum pellets?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default 777 magnum pellets?

Has anyone seen or tried these out yet? They claim an additional 200-250 FPS can be gained when using 2 of these pellets. Personally, I like loose powder, but I'm curious about new products like this.

http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven/t7magnum.php
Old 06-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Default RE: 777 magnum pellets?

I also use loose...100 or 150 grains just never fit what I was looking for. But these magnum pellets seem to have about the same ballistics as the load I generally use with loose powder. I don't know if they'll be worth the price though, no biggy to keep measuring powder out.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

My perspective on these "magnum pellets" is; they are offering an extra 200-250 fps. Well for most shooters that does not shoot a three pellet load for anything other then to make a lot of noise, and have his shoulder bumped good, who cares? I like how their marketing people want you to know that these are "magnum" pellets. Why that alone makes them bigger, even better then those simple standard pellets people shoot, right? I am sure their additional cost would be justified by their magnum status alone.

Most rifles out there do not shoot 150 grains of powder as well as lets say 100-120 grains of powder. Some rifles out there are limited to 3 - 50 grain pellets for their max load. Now all of a sudden they have magnum pellets which will produce more barrel pressures. What do you think these rifle manufacturers will have to say about that? To me, it is nothing more then a marketing gimmick. They want to cause a refreshing in the interest in people and pellets. How do they do that.. some thing different, better, something new, something magnum. They want you to fall for their marketing ploy and they want to sell powder.

How many more feet per second is it going to take you to kill a deer? My simple .50 caliber with 70 grains and a round ball can do that. How much more effective will the magnum be over the standard three pellet load for field shooting or large game? Not much in my opinion. Didn't Jim Shockey for years kill moose, elk, bear, etc with 100 grains and a Nosler projectile? Now granted on large dangerous game that extra few fps might be nice, but only certain rifles on the market out there will be able to handle them and the loads they shoot

Actually I am a little put out by the irresponsible marketing behavior of Hodgdon's and their new magnum pellets. We have traditional hunters screaming to get inline shooters out of the playing field. They tout that inlines are nothing more then a center fire rifle. They report of velocities closer to center fires all the time. So what does a powder company do? Why they make a magnum pellet which I am sure we are going to hear that all inline shooters now use (by some traditional shooters who want "their" season back) so they can be even more center fire like. As if inline hunters do not have enough problems keeping their seasons. Right Idaho?

Look at this for what it is.. a gimmick. It is a way to freshen the market. I doubt they will ever make it to my home unless they are free. Although two of them might make a good hunting load in some of the rifles.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Look at this for what it is.. a gimmick. It is a way to freshen the market. I doubt they will ever make it to my home unless they are free."

Bingo. Regular Non-Magnum 777 pellets are sky high. Imagine that these spiffy new "777 Magnum" pellets with be at least $35. Speaking of pellets, i need to go shoot up all my Pyrodex pellets that have been sitting here for years while i used granular Pyrodex and JSG to kill hogs and deer. Thing to do ASAP.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Look at this for what it is.. a gimmick. It is a way to freshen the market. I doubt they will ever make it to my home unless they are free.
I can agree with that.

I waiting to hear about the first person that blows up their rifle trying to use 3 pellets. Even though they warn against using more than 2 pellets, you know someone will try it.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM

blow up their rifle using 3 pellet loads? They are rated for it. Only way its going to let go is if you're using that kind of load in a non magnum muzzleloader, or forget to push the bullet on top of the powder. Lots of people using 3 pellet loads out there.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I would wonder if these might not be nothing more then a .54 caliber pellet introduced back. They were 60 grains which would make them more magnum over the standard 50 grain pellet. I read on a forum that a person with a .50 caliber was shooting .54 caliber pellets. They loaded two of them and it worked perfect for them. Maybe this is the magnum thing.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I looked at the Hodgdon's site and they only suggest two pellets in the rifle. So there is your advantage.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

FG....Apparently, these new "magnum" pellets are hotter, in some way,than the standard 777 pellets on the market. They claim velocities in the 2000 fps range using 2 pellets and a 250 gr. bullet. The also state a specific warning againstloading more than 2 pellets per shot for fear of injury to the shooter and/or bystanders.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

FG....Apparently, these new "magnum" pellets are hotter, in some way,than the standard 777 pellets on the market. They claim velocities in the 2000 fps range using 2 pellets and a 250 gr. bullet. The also state a specific warning againstloading more than 2 pellets per shot for fear of injury to the shooter and/or bystanders.
I don't know what this would do for you that loose wouldn't do, but seems like a marketing tatic. Chap

Quick Reply: 777 magnum pellets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.