Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

OMEGA SCOPE????

Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default OMEGA SCOPE????

Hi guys i just bought a new OMEGA and am going to proble buy the OMEGA scope from nikon. You are suppose to sight it in for 100 yards with a 250 gr bullet and 150 grains of powder. Would it matter if i shoot a 295 gr bullet with 100 grains of powder? how much wil it effect it and should i even bother buyn that scope? thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 AM

Default RE: OMEGA SCOPE????

Yes it would matter. You'd be really suprised at how much the 295 drops. 295 powerbelt?
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 AM

As long as you zero in at 100 yards theBDC should remain the same. I have BDC on my Nikon Prostaff scope. The key is to zero at 100 yards regardless of load.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand how it could remain the same regardless of loads, even if you did sight in for100? I mean, the circles themselves can't be spaced differently so I would imagine that a MUCH slower, faster dropping load like a heavy 295 gr round with only 100 grains of powder wouldn't be anything close to the suggested 150 gr of powder behind a 250 grain bullet???

I have the Nikon Omega scope on one of our Encore Pro Hunters and I've found that it seems to have to have the suggested load to be accurate. For that reason I found exceptional results shooting the 250 grain Shockwave in front of 150 grains of APP Shockey's Gold.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 AM

if your not going to use the suggested load then just get the omega scope without the BDC, thats what I would do, personally I dont like the BDC but the large eye relief you get from the omega scope is very nice
Old 06-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

According to my chrony and my trajectory figuresthe bottom line is that if you sight in @ 100YDS and compare the results @ 250yds the PB295 with 100gr rs drops 60 inches from the point of aim at 100yds ,the SW with 150gr drops 17 inches. The recommendation from me under those circumstances would be if you want to shoot that long range try the 50/40 200gr Shock Wave with 150gr which they will shoot accurate with in a lot of guns[not all] sight in for 150[1.5inches high at 100yds] and will drop 10 inches at 250 with a 1.5 inch high on scope mounting.Lee
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

yeah guys i am shooting the powerbelt bullets they hit the deer pretty hard.. so iguessing ihave to get the 245 and go up to 150gr powder to make this scope work...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 PM

The scope will work with whatever projectile/powder combination you want to use, if you want to make it work. You will need to practice to figure it all out and best utilize the BDC tool. That is all it is, a tool...not magic. I certainly would not change my load so it matches a scope. Just my opinion.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

AS cascadedad said these are tools and they will work if you figure out how they work.Lets say you have a rifle that shoots 1inch groups and 1 that shoots 5 in groups its easy to see that the one that shoots 1 in. groups is going to be more accrute out to longer yardages with these dots,circles or dashes.Most of these type scopes when the power is changed the dots change for dropage.But at 100 yds the cross hairs are on at any power.They will tell you which power the dots work on most are the higest power setting.Lets say you get it set dead on at 100 yds,useing a 295 gr bullet with 100 grs of powder,then go to 200 yds and shoot if you don't have the exact load recomended the bullet is going to hit low because the bigger bullet is slower even with the same load,say the bullet hits 20 inches low,ok turn your power ring down to a couple powers less shoot again and bullet should have shot higher than the last one,keep going till you get the bullet to strike on at 200 yds.When hunting you just leave the power setting on the same thing or you must remember to change the power setting if you are hunting with it on say 9 power.
I helped a fellow set up 2 savage muzzleloaders last year and the omega scope worked great out to 300 yds.I have a lepould 4x12 blistic-dot on my savage at this time and it works great out to 300 yds.Have several reg rifles with these type scopes on them shooting handloads and they work.
They are scopes with the blistic dots that won't work like a nightforce (the model I tried ) because they are made to hold the dots in the same place at any power setting.
Hope this helps, you can make the mil-dot scopes work the same way also.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:08 AM

forgive me if I am wrong but isnt the BDC supposed to make life easier by reducing choices at the time of the shot pick to me getting a scope setup for another load and then switching everything to match the scope isnt a good choice, let alone having to figure out what dot to use then what magnification to use, I would rather have regualr scope practice at the range and know 200 yards am 10 inches high no problem point and shoot no adjusting anything, I am not saying anyway is better everyone has and does what works for them if it were me setting up someone I would give them a high quality scope and rangefinder unless they were shooting the load the BDC was setup for, simplify as best as possible,

Quick Reply: OMEGA SCOPE????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.