Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 never saw this before >

never saw this before

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

never saw this before

Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default never saw this before

While I was butchering one of the bucks I harvested last year I found the miniball stuck on the inside of the shoulder blade. It was a lung shot from the other side so I guess it deflected into the blade. I have never found a bullet in a deer so intact. The picture is of one of the mini balls that I cast and the one that was found in the deer. Ever seen this before?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:34 PM

Default RE: never saw this before

yep. Found a big 385 grain great plains bullet inside the other shoulder of a deer i shot last sept. Suprised the hell out of me because i was only 20 yards away when i shot her.

Nice looking bullet. Is that a 50cal or 58?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

The one thing I have learned about shooting black powder projectiles is, there is no telling where they will end up or what kind of condition they will be in. I know a person that shot a deer behind the front shoulder and the ball came out the top of the back. Must have hit a rib and followed it up is all I can figure.

What kind of gun do you shoot the minnie out of and with what powder charge?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was shot out of my Traditions .50 cal. LT. using 90 gr. of pyrodex. It is a 360 gr. mini out of a Lee mold. I use a bushnell 4x scope and the gun is dialed at 100 yards. I was in one of my stands and the young buck (3x3) came in across a ridge about 50 yards away. Nice broadside shot. He dropped where he stood. It was first thing in the morning and I had only been in my stand about 30 min.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I have that same mold, but have not found too many rifles that will shoot it well. That is why I asked. I will have to cast some up and try them in some of the new rifles I have in my collection.

thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have the same mold and have cast some but not had a chance to shoot them given all the other stuff that I have collected. I guess Lee is doing alright since we all bought the mold. I hope it shoots well in something I have. I forget what the OD came out but if it is big enough it might shoot in the White since almost everything else seems to based on results from other White owners.