Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 43 degrees makes a difference. >

43 degrees makes a difference.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

43 degrees makes a difference.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:15 AM

Default 43 degrees makes a difference.

Beautiful to shoot outside, just a touch warm at 80 degrees. I was out playing with the white mountain carbine, shooting 350 grain maxihunters and 90 grains of goex ffg. Last time I shot this gun (last month), it was 37 degrees. My gun shot 5 inches lower today. What an impact this warm weather makes! I'm seriously considering having two different sight settings, one for cooler weather , and a hot weather sight setting. In Ohio, it can 15 degrees or it can be 70 during the gun seasons.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 43 degrees makes a difference.

Doegirl75

Weather, I really feel that weather can mak a difference in POI, but gosh 5" inches is an awful lot. I do not adjust anything when the temp is above 60 because I know when the temp drops back to the 40's everything will be back where it needs to be. It is my belief the temp has the biggest effect on the stock. If you have a stock that fits your gun snugly (especially a wood stock) your POI will possibly change due temp. Of course bedding the action and the barrel will reduce all of this.

My biggest problem in warm weather is "Barrel Temp".... it is really hard for me to keep the barrel cool and at shooting temp.... I am just to impatient to let it cool all the way back done.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Well I agree with Sabotloader on this one. I think the temperature effects the stocks. I have wondered if the laminated and composite stocks are more forgiving then the wood. (maybe that multicolored one of sabotloaders is the answer. Your so dazzled by the colors you don't care where it shoots.. )

My White does not seem to care what temperature it is though, it just shoots. Now my Knight Disc is a real nightmare. When it gets hot you might as well save your powder. It will be shooting excellent one day, and the next day spray the board. I even had a friend shoot it one day to see if it was just me missing. He could not hold a group with it either.

5 inches does seem like a lot. I think you have to take time off work and force yourself to spend more time on the range with that rifle. I know its a lot to ask, but I would shoot the devil out of it in all kinds of weather before I make two different sight adjustments.

Wisconsin gun season (modern) is hard to judge it can be in the 60's or in the -20's just luck of the draw. Now muzzleloader season at the end of December is going to be COLD. Very seldom is it warmer then 40 degrees. Maybe that's why I like that season so much.

Good luck shooting that rifle. What rate twist does that rifle barrel have? 1-20 or 1-32? I saw a .54 caliber model for sale and I got the urge to put a bid on it. Always wanted one of them or a Firestorm flintlock, but I need another rifle (as I have been told so many time) like I need anotherhole in the head.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Youguys think you have a hard time keeping the barrel cool. I usually only get time to shoot in the summer and the temp yesterday was 103 degrees. I didn't get to shoot but try keeping the barrel cool in those temps. I found my Omega was off by about five inches at 50 yards from summer sighting and winter (40 degrees) hunting. Ithas a tupperware stock and it moves POI every time I take it off anyway so I am working on that too.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

we were in the low 50's this morning when I headed out. That 100+ stuff, I could not take that. I can take cold real good but heat will send me inside faster then cold any day.

I have heard other people talk about the stocks on some of those Omega's. Was that the Z5 model?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:36 PM

5 inches does seem like a lot. I think you have to take time off work and force yourself to spend more time on the range with that rifle. I know its a lot to ask, but I would shoot the devil out of it in all kinds of weather before I make two different sight adjustments.
Hmmm, I wonder if work will accept "need extended time off for load development" as reason to take an FMLA leave.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:23 PM

Mid 80s yesterday and the x150 shot the same way it did when it was 50 degrees. Same with the deercreek. Only that one broke[:@]
Old 05-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

we were in the low 50's this morning when I headed out. That 100+ stuff, I could not take that. I can take cold real good but heat will send me inside faster then cold any day.

I have heard other people talk about the stocks on some of those Omega's. Was that the Z5 model?
No; it is an expensive stainless camo stocked original early Omega. I also have had a real problem with Tripple Seven in this rifle. I am really considering putting it up for a while and concentrate on my White and NEF. The last couple of times I shot the Omega it just keep getting worse. I am losing confidence even though two years ago I made a long running shot on an elk with the same rifle (maybe it was luck???). I have not checked the stock for cracks but have heard that some have cracked. Just have too much other stuff to do at this time. Sure like the looks of my new 97 Whitetail Hunter with a laminated stock. The stock is a little short but I think I am going to add a big spacer under a Limbsaver recoil pad as soon as I can find some thick black plastic. CDAD sent me some BullShop bullets for the White and with the No-Excuses I have on the shelf I am really wanting to get out and shoot it. Just difficult to do here with the weather and the crowded shooting range.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:50 PM

All this talk about barrel temps is getting me a little concerned. This past week on two occations I shot 25-30 rounds through my Optima and it never gets beyond warm to the touch. I'll shoot 300g xtps with 100g of 777 pellets darn near one after another. Air temps here around 80 and some humidity.

Should that barrel be getting warmer than that?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Spike

MLKeith, Try tightening the lugs to the barrel of the Omega. I read a post where someone had a rifle that started spraying randomly, they found the mounting screws on the lugs loose. After tightening everything back up the rifle was a good shooter again. I told my brother and he found the screws loose on his Encore. Of course I have always thoughtmy bro hada screw loose.

Quick Reply: 43 degrees makes a difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.