Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BP at Gunshows?

Old 04-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default BP at Gunshows?

Greetings all. Here in Arizona you cannot find real BP in the stores-due to the laws regarding explosives. So I end up ordering from Powder Inc.

Powder Inc is a fine company and I've never had problems with them, however it would be nice to be able to just buy the stuff somewhere.

I have never been to a gunshow and I would think they vary from show to show. However has anyone been to a gunshow and found BP (Goex, Swiss, etc.) to be available for sale?

Thanks,
~Robert
Old 04-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BP at Gunshows?

WOOHOO, I am not a "Fawn" anymore, graduated to "Spike!"
Old 04-24-2007, 05:24 PM

not me
Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 PM

all I've ever found at those things is overpriced guns and illegal stuff lol
Old 04-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Depends on the State the gun shows are held in. They too are held to some strict regulations not only by State regulation, but local regulations and fire code. I have found powder in gun shows. A better place to look is watch for rendezvous in your area. They often have stands where they sell lots of things. There you can get black powder, but again.. being a seller's market at many of these places you pay a premium price. The best way to get your black powder is order it in large amounts at one time. Also, checksome shooting clubs. Often they order powder by the case, you meet new friends, and have a place to shoot.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Depends on the State the gun shows are held in. They too are held to some strict regulations not only by State regulation, but local regulations and fire code. I have found powder in gun shows. A better place to look is watch for rendezvous in your area. They often have stands where they sell lots of things. There you can get black powder, but again.. being a seller's market at many of these places you pay a premium price. The best way to get your black powder is order it in large amounts at one time. Also, checksome shooting clubs. Often they order powder by the case, you meet new friends, and have a place to shoot.
Yes the rendezvous are the way to go. I have a friend who is in a reenactment group who said to save my 1 lb cans since he and some friends buy 50 lbs and he will sell me 5 lbs for $10/lb. I just bought 2 lbs retail for $18.95/lb, Goex in 1 lb can. I only shoot the BP in my FL, but I go thru about alb a year now. Chap Gleason
Old 04-25-2007, 12:36 PM

I checked the Goex site and did not see a distributer in Arizona. When I had this same problem here in Denver I had wandered into a new store that recently opened here called Bass Pro Shops.. I just wanted to see the store, but as it turns out, low and behold they had Goex BP..

Good luck on your search.

early
Old 04-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Arizona also. The regulations that limit real Black is mainly a Phoenix thing. You can find real Black Powder in Tucson and a store in Payson (actually Star Valley area). I have from time to time bought Goex ffg from Tucson as $12 a pound so I have a fair amount on the shelf. I also noticed that the big muzzleloading rendezvous at Black Canyon has black powder for sale. Watch for that if you can make it.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 PM

oh yeah!!! I recall finding BP at them before.