Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What the heck!

Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 PM

Default What the heck!

I took some triple 7 and put it in a pan and took my lighter and put the flame right into the powder and nothing happened! I had to hold it there for 10-12 seconds before it would even fizzle. Now im really interested to see how this stuff works in my sidelock.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What the heck!

Triple Se7en works good in percussion style sidelocks. The only problem I ever found is they smoke the patch. I have a CVA Mountain Stalker in .54 caliber that with 80 grains of T-7 #2 and a wad, then patch and ball it will shoot with the best of them. Also it has all the power it needs for taking deer as well.

Triple Se7en did not work at all in flintlocks even when duplexed with Goex. Maybe you're on to something with that lighter and all. Might explain the slow ignition in the flintlocks...

When it finally fired off though, did it really POOF! or sit and fizzle. I ignited some when I did my powder test with a long nose lighter and had little to no problem to make it go off.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 PM

really slow cold fizzle.Almost like watching each grain go off slowly.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:00 PM

A friend of mine(an idiotic ex-friend) and I used to take black powder and toss it in fires or fill things with it and toss them in. All it ever did was fizz like that. It doesn't explode or burn like people think it does.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

X150

That is pretty normal. It does take a lot of heat to get the powder to ignite, but when it does it is a big boom...

I use T7-3f in my side locks for that very reason - it is easier than 2f to start. I really have not had a problem getting it to ignite with Dynmit Noble 1075+ caps even in the cold weather. I have had some problems with other #11 Magnum Caps in the coldest weatherin regular 30f + no problem at all. It does really burn hot, really hot. It will melt pure lead and as Dave says it will probably destroy a cloth patch... not sure I would shoot PRB's with it - really no need to anyway as Pyro and BP will do the job.

I use T7-2f in my inlines and most of the time I am using a 209 cap to start it, and again no problems. The 2f should work in your inline just fine with a 1075+ cap.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

A friend of mine(an idiotic ex-friend) and I used to take black powder and toss it in fires or fill things with it and toss them in. All it ever did was fizz like that. It doesn't explode or burn like people think it does.
If you want it to explode, then you have to contain it. If you make it so there is a pressure build up and that pressure can not be released faster then it occurres, you will get an explosion. I could tell you stories of foolish children, but I do not want to plant any ideas in any other foolish children if you know what I mean. I simply say, it is not something to play with.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:10 PM

Im going to give it a try tomorrow with 40 grains t7, and a 225 grain powerbelt in my deercreek rifle. See if te groups tighten.

As for it melting lead, Should i put a wad under the bullet when i load up the x-150 with the great plains rifle?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Dominant Buck

If the conical is flat bottom, the rule is put a wad. Although it does not hurt to try them both ways. For instance, I shoot 70 gr of T-7 3f all the time in the White with a conical and no wad.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorslover

or fill things with it and toss them in.
That statement worrys me a bit.... if you filled things with BP and tossed them in the fire you better darn well hope the expanding gases get quicker than they build up or you could have a really big problem in a hurry... quicker than you can run....

Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 PM

these are hollow base.

I just sent off my order for 20 bullshop bullets today so i'll have more testing in a couple weeks. Plan on doing a lot of shooting with my .45 tomorrow so i figured i'd give triple 7 a try and see how it does. Only have 3 great plains bullets for the x-150, all the stores were out of them again. So those 3 shots will be the big test tomorrow.

Quick Reply: What the heck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.