Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Measuring

Old 04-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Measuring

If using a tapered conical such as the REAL, Maxi, or Great Plains, measure at the top band (reference picture) in the grooves along the bullet sides formed by the lands. Measure at points as near to 180 degrees opposed as you can.

some that would require a bit more illustrated below.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO on those numbers. Land to land will be a smaller measure than groove to groove - always. Hope the above illustrations help... your bottom band may not be engaging enough to get any sort of decent measure - they often don't on tapered conicals.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 PM

Shoot, if i measure the top band, its .511 land and .500 groove.

groove: .500"

Land " top ring" .511"

Ive tried measuring every way i could think of and keep coming up with the same numbers.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 PM

Just got this back from Dan.

The reason you are getting different readings at different ends of the
bullet is the LGP bullet is tapered being smaller at the base than the
nose.
If you are going for a slip fit you will want your bullet to ride the
land
tops. This is the bore diameter and apparently in your rfile its .500"
If your getting a .511 measurment for the groove diameter that tells us
your
grooves are .0055" deep which seems normal to me.
I would guess that what you will end up with for a useable bullet
diameter
will be .500" to .501" I can do eather or both your call.

I just used the small hole calipers and measured that and it did come up as .500" So i think i'll go with Dan's .501" bullets to be on the safe side
Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, but in your prior post you still have the grooves and lands backwards. If you are getting .500, then Dan is correct in his recommendation.

The only problem will be in shooting a .501 bullet in a rifle that has grooves as deep as yours - it may not fully or consistently obturate.If that were the case, you would notget the kind of accuracy youdesire. You can help yourself there with a wad or buffer material - and by going heavy on the bullet weight. If they STILL won't shoot as well as you like, a hollow base conical might prove a better choice.

Gets to be a bit of a guessing game when grooves are that deep and the overall consistency of your rifling is an unknown. Since you were doing pretty well with the Great Plains - your rifling is surely fairly well done.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:06 AM

Im going to just order 20 and see how they work and start there. He said something about a lyman mold he has and he can lube them in a .501 mold. For $8.05, its worth a giving them a try. If i didnt have so much of a problem finding the GP bullets i'd use them all of the time. But im going to give this a try and see how well they shoot.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:17 AM

What size do you think i should get UC? Im putting payment in the mail tomorrow and can always put in a note for another size.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should try the 400 grainerssized to.501 for now.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WinchesterX150

How would i measure the bore on my x-150? im thinking about having BS make some bullets for me to try out in it but the QLA has me thrown off on how to measure. I havea few GP bullets few and was thinking about pulling my breech plug, push the bullet down the bore and then push it back out the way it went in and measure off that. Would that be ok? Im having a big problem with the 2 stores not restocking the Great plains bullets fast enough for me and would like to give BS a try and then order in bulk.
You're thinking is OK! Just use a soft lead ball or bullet that is slightly oversize, and push it in from the breech, then after shoving it several inches up the bore, push it back out and use a mike to measure it!
Old 04-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

X150

If you are bored and nothing else to do....

Measure the diameter of a PB for me would you? I aint got any of those things... measure the skirt right at the top also...

Quick Reply: Measuring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.