Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 There's a new kid in town... >

There's a new kid in town...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

There's a new kid in town...

Old 03-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default There's a new kid in town...

I got to take the new ride for a test drive today. Kind of a Pinto with a V8 stuffed under the hood. My Cabela's Hawken with the GM 1:28 barrel.

" />

I shot the following sequence of loads, and have the bruised cheek to show for it.

" />

At first, I was concerned as she spit her first 4 shots well off target. Could I still shoot open sights or had a scoped gun ruined me? A couple of minor rear sight adjustments, and on #5 things began to change.

" />

I moved over to a fresh target and reached for the 240 XTP's, a full box I've carried around for 15 years since my CVA just didn't like them. After some discussion here about "shot groups", thought I better throw 5 in a row.

" />

All in all, I'm impressed by this barrel. Hopefully those first 4 shots were break in material. Can't wait to try 100!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Default RE: There's a new kid in town...

Great shooting. Arnt new toys fun?!! Those sabertooths didnt do to well for me either.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, #17 and 18 were Sabertooth 300's. Might be the weight difference but I'm hoping it was just breaking in the bore.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 PM

oooh i c now. thats great. Probably just liked the heavier bullets. Thats whats so fun with muzzleloading, getting to find all the fun stuff that shoots good.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

I was looking at the targets and got to thinking maybe it wasn't obvious that #13-18 were intended for the 2" corner targets. On #15, I thought I had missed the paper, only to realize later I had accidentally moved back to the right hand target. Oops!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

Congrats... you finally got out there.. things will get better...

Just my opinion... but that migh not be that bad shooting at 50 yards with a scope target... that had to be difficult to get the bead in the same place every time. Might want to get a 3" orange round ball stuck in the center of it... Something like this

This is an example of the new one I am using... it is really easier to line the front site on the bottom of the Red "V" each...

Can not wait for your next batch of targets they will get better... Limbsaver makes a really neat slip over recoil pad that works great for those brass plated Hawken stocks...

Old 03-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

SL - Unfortunately, those are the targets provided by the range. I was pleased that after the first 4, the next 14 were all inside of 2" POI to POA with the 5 shot group being a 1.75 group. I haven't been getting that with the 1:66 and a scope!

Limbsaver makes a really neat slip over recoil pad that works great for those brass plated Hawken stocks...
My shoulder's fine, my cheek is hamburger.....
Old 03-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Dominant Buck

It looks like the rifle is going to be a good shooter!!!

My Stainless Steel Green Mountain 1:28 twist on the Renegade likes the 250 gr Saber Tooth with 90 grains of Goex or Kik 3f powder. Also I think Sabotloader might have a good idea about changing the kind of target. I never could shoot open sights at that kind of target.

A real easy target to sight on is go to Wal Mart. They sell neon colored 3X5 inch index cards. You tape that to a brown paper bag from the grocery store and it stands out like a sore thumb at 50 yards. Easy to see. Then I aim and hold full open at the center of the card. The trick is to throw them all in there.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

What I'd really like to find are some 3" orange adhesive dots. Maybe Staples.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

Will they let you place the dot on the target? - it has an adhesive on the back....

I should-a said that you did really well and actually I thought you had a better target than you have previously posted with the 1/66... And yet or still it will get better...

Take a look at your shoulder here in a couple of days... No I thought the recoil pad would also reduce lift on your cheek. I was not getting hammered in the cheek with either the Hawken or Renegade stock - do not really know why either.... I am one of those that has to have their cheek planted in the stock... I had an old army sargent/major rifle team shooting instructor that made it quite clear if you were going to shoot on his team you shot his way... "thumb to cheek on the stock" gosh do I remember that phrase...

Quick Reply: There's a new kid in town...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.