Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Did some shooting with the 45 >

Did some shooting with the 45

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Did some shooting with the 45

Old 03-25-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Did some shooting with the 45

Just finished cleaning the .45cal. 110 yards, 50 grains pyrodex RS and PRB.
I fired 6 shots total but the i had 1 hang fire and one shot that i wasnt ready for, didnt show up. I put my finger on the trigger and was getting ready to squeeze and the wind blew so hard that it rocked me and that was enough to blow that shot. Im shooting 3 1/2" to the right. When i hammer the sight, do i go the the left to bring it to the left or is it the other way around? The shots on the far left, were done on purpose to see how far over i had to go. I wasnt sure if it was me or the sights so i held it on the corner of the box.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Did some shooting with the 45

Win50

The front sight goes the opposit direction that you want the bullet to move... the rear siight goes the direction you want it to move...

Old 03-25-2007, 06:21 PM

ah ha! just what i figured. Thanks! i'll be doing that tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:49 PM

Well just got done shooting the mtn. rifle at 20 yards. 60 grains RS, 225 grain aerotip powerbelt. First shot was to the right a tad, i wasnt wearing my glasses and had a hard time seeing my front sight. The other two shots were with my glasses on . I got my moneys worth out of those 3 bullets. But most of all, i am happy to see that she will shoot them accuratly. They loaded like butter too. Which is always nice. My max load will be 100 grains with this bullet and later on when i go for 100 yards, i'll start with that 100 grain charge and start filing down the front sight if i have to. Very very happy that the barrel likes these bullets! Any deer within 100 yards this season is going to get one through the ribs.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:23 PM

I couldnt resist, after i cleaned it i kept thinking about tomorrow and how i was going to shoot. Couldnt wait till morning. Got my possibles bag and 3 powerbelts, taped up my target, putit at my 50 yard marker and shot off my log seat and fence line. first 2 shots fired like a charm, 3ed shot i got a hang fire, it was actually a pretty good one too, i was able to watch the flame come out of the nipple. First 2 shots measured 7/8" from center to center. And as you can see i didnt move my sights over like i wanted too the other day. I figured it may have been the wind blowing the PRB off the other day but after shooting the powerbelts, its going to have to go over to the left. Its dead on too, you aim at the bottom of the black circle and thats exactly where it will hit. I may be ok at 100 yards and probably could get by with just upping my charge. And soooo little kick! thats the greatest part about this rifle. I have some 255 grain maxi hunters coming in, bought them off Lonewolf and should get them next week or early as saturday. i'll have 2 types of bullets to try out and see what groups best. So far this rifle was worth every "penny" i traded for it.

Im guessing at 100 yards it will be right at or a tad under 2" groups. what do you think?

Edit: Opps , guess pic would be nice to go along with.