Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Slow barrel

Old 03-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Slow barrel

Well went out and shot the Bobcat today.

.490 RB, 80 grs RS, .015 Bore Butter lubed patch, 1600 FPS.

Seems kinda slow to me.

Anyway, tried shooting at 100, could not get a group, moved in to 75, and am sitting just fine.

Will keep that as my max this year. Not going to apply for elk due to starting a new job, so its just deer and antelope I will apply for.

Will just use the round ball, have been wanting to see how well that works. Just will keep myself limited to 75 yards.

Later,

Marcial
Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slow barrel

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

Well went out and shot the Bobcat today.

.490 RB, 80 grs RS, .015 Bore Butter lubed patch, 1600 FPS.

Seems kinda slow to me.

Anyway, tried shooting at 100, could not get a group, moved in to 75, and am sitting just fine.

Will keep that as my max this year. Not going to apply for elk due to starting a new job, so its just deer and antelope I will apply for.

Will just use the round ball, have been wanting to see how well that works. Just will keep myself limited to 75 yards.

Later,

Marcial
Good luck on the draw charlie.

I don't know if 1600 is where it should be on the bobcat, however, I thinkit is close. Its a little shorter than my hawken. My bore is pitted down deep I get around 1550 fps with 70 grains of pyro P. What will surprise you is that with 10 grains filler my velocities with the same charge were 1730 fps!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Dominant Buck

according to Hodgdon's manual you should be at 1701 fps with 80 grains of RS and a roundball so there is a 100 fps difference. That could be caused by patch and even lube, who knows. Any way, good luck with the deer and antelope. I sure enjoyed your elk hunting post last time. Maybe you will have another adventure to write about this year.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, thanks guys, I was thinking it should have been closer to 1700 also. I may even try some Pyrodex P. I do not like shooting Goex, just too dirty, Pyrodex RS shoots much better in my gun with no ignition issues. I will also put in some filler. I know we talked about that in previous posts with other bullets. Though I think the load I have now will be fine for deer under 75 yards.

Last year I got a deer with my friend's ML, was having problems with mine, but I think I have that taken care of now.

Later,

Marcial
Old 03-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

My friend hunts whitetail with 70 grains of Pyrodex RS and a .490 ball. He can shoot right through a big doe at 47 yards like it was not there broadside. I am sure your 80 grain charge would have no problems.

Another thought.. elevation. Does that effect the velocity of a projecitle a great deal or not?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usaully the higher up you go, the less air resistance there is, hence better downrange velocity. As far as I know there is not much difference AT THE MUZZLE from sea level on up. I have plugged in numbers for different elevations and gotten big differences between sea level and 6500 feet (where I am at). I will just stick with it, and see how it goes.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you are having trouble grouping with above a 80 grain charge you should try going to a .495 dia rounball fits a little snugger sometimes thats what ya need, might even help with the velocity aswell. ya might even try different types of patch material and or lube. In my CVA hunterbolt my magic RB load is .495 hornady RB's with a pillow ticking patch lubed with spit patch over 2 fifty grain pyrodex pellets with a cci 209 primer. with open sights at 50 yards its one ragged hole.