Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Is this really muzzleloading? >

Is this really muzzleloading?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is this really muzzleloading?

Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is this really muzzleloading?

I would say 200 yard shots with a ML are onthe same line as 300 or 400 yards shot with a CF, outside reality of most hunters/shooters. The rifles(guns) as general rule have much more ability then those who bare them.

As to is thisa ML...who cares!!! If its legal and loads from theML its a MUZZLELOADER. Personal choice that is it. Challenge is what you make of it, not based on the equipment you use. I have been shooting a Muzzleloader for a while and have become tired of this debate(much like the archery debates).

Getting snubbed for owning a savage smokeless ML bysomeone shooting a TC Encore...please.[:'(]
Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

To all,
As I stated before it is a ML but would I buy one? No interest other than to take it apart....
Just be aware that many here hunt archery and ML'ers during gun seasons. Many stick bow hunters think those long bows, R/D longbows, modern recurves and compound shooters are just too modern.
I never have had the opportunity to shoot a FL and I'd bet they are tons of fun, but I have no reason to snub anyone. I want MORE ML'ers out there to promote this sport. It more fun that cartridge rifles imho but hey shoot what ever you like including a eletronic ignition.
Who will be the first to kill a GRIZZ w/one!
Oh as I recall the remington elctro was a what?
Those darn batteries in cold wet weather,,,,hehe!
SHills
Old 03-13-2007, 07:45 PM

It doesn't really make much difference to me. Might be fun to shoot, but for me, I don't need anything else that could potentially gowrong. I have enough bad luck/problems to add another one.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: roundball
And you just keep making the same old sick, tired, and lame mistakes by attacking others who happen to have an opinion different from yours.

The poster asked for opinions on his question, not"your opinion about my opinion"...so your response to menot only fails to address the poster's question,it wastes a lot ofgood bandwidth, andmakes no difference to me personally whatsoever.

People either have legitimate logic for their positions or they don't.
Those whodon'tresort to attacking those who do.
And you failed in the same regard... Your first statement answered his question, " Not to me...", and then you went on to give your opinion on a different subject. Should have stopped when you answered the question... instead you have taken up bandwidth.

It loads from the muzzle but I would not own a CVA... so it is not for me.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: roundball
Congratulations...you've got it...and you're going after it the hard way because that's how they did it back in the day...
The man said he wanted more of a challenge and you automatically assume he wanted to do it "because that's how they did it back in the day."

How arrogant!! How condescending!! Do you even realize how biased and bigoted that is? Probably not... no thought on what he actually wrote. Just an assumption of what fits your paradigm. I am not saying that is not what he may have been thinking but he certainly never conveyed that in what he actually wrote!

I just can't believe how arrogant you are in your thinking...
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 AM

Seems you may have a bit of a reading comprenhension problem...because this is what he said, and I quote:

"...I had originally bought my Omega for; ease of use, ease of cleaning, out of the box accuracy (and it is accurate), familiarity with centerfires. But what I found out after my first deer harvest with this rifle last fall, was that it was very much the same as shooting any of my centerfire rifles.Minus the re-load of course. It lacked the challenge that I thought ML'ing was supposed to be..."

Also, the the same night schools that teach reading comprehension clsasses may also teach anger management classes...you might get a discount if you take them both together.

People who make big emotional posts like you just did are 99.99% wrong, as you obviously were in this case...so why do you do things like that?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I see this same disagreement come up almost every time new technology is discussed, or someone makes a terrific shot with a scoped inline, or just because someone feels the need to rehash the whole thing.

What Huntaway and Roundball perceive as a challenge, others might perceive differently.To them having a limited range single shot rifle that is not 100% sure of going off, is all that is needed to add that extra feeling. Huntaway failed to mention if the Omega was scoped. How close the deer was. etc. Perhaps remove the scope if you want more of a challenge. Load the Omega with roundball. Or as you said, get a flintlock.A one shot flop with a deer is not all that uncommon no matter what rifle or projectile you use. It is shot placement, and the damage the projectile does.

A difference inviews does not make one side right and one side wrong. If you want to hunt with a scoped inline and its legal, or a flintlock with open sights, what does it matter? To each their own actually. And that is where I see a problem. Some people feel that if you do not hunt the muzzleloader season the same way as they believe it should be done,then you are missing something. Missing what and in who's opinion?

What some fail to understand is, not everyone needs the spirit of the hunt, or the adventure of hunting like their forefathers. Some are out there to fill freezers, others just to spend some quality time outdoors with family and friends, or enjoy the peace and tranquility some get from just being alone in the woods. The kind of weapon they use might help in their endeavors oris not important to them. Still some peoplefeel determined to shove down the throats of others THEIR beliefs of what is muzzleloader hunting. Even though some states say different. And in the States that do no agree with their beliefs, they feel the need to pressure the State representatives to change the laws to fit their needs, cheating others out of a time in the woods that might have been very special to them. Idaho is a good example.

If the rifle is legal, even the electronic ignition rifle, in the State you hunt, and YOU are satisfied with the rifle and the challenge it provides, why does someone else feel the need or the right to tell you or make you change to their ways. I say, hunt with what you want, don't worry about me. If you get your thrill from a flintlock, more power to you. If you want a smokeless muzzleloader, go for it. If its legal, what difference is it to someone else?
Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bravo Dave!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

OUTSTANDING!

Dave can I republish the writing... I would like to send to a couple of gentlemen in my state and put a copy on another forum?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:54 AM

Dave, that's exactly the point that too many people miss...I hope everybody stops and thinks about that for a minute.

Quick Reply: Is this really muzzleloading?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.