Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Finally got to shoot >

Finally got to shoot

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally got to shoot

Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Finally got to shoot

It is finally almost acting like Spring may get here sometime. It was in the low 50's with bluebird skies today. Absolutely no better weather to shoot in, so off to the range I went to shoot the T/C New Englander I got a month ago(was beginning to think it would NEVER thaw). The only spot with an open bench was the 50 yd range ,got my target up and ... proceeded to miss my first 5 shots! Wasn't even on the paper. Talk about seriously upset. Made me think though. My Apex had come from the factory sighted in at a hundred yds, almost dead on. I dropped my aiming point to six inches below the paper and hit the top of the 5 ring. Dropped another 6 inches and was dead on. I was shooting 60 gr of 777 and patched round ball, .490 Hornady. Was the powder charge too light? I mean the gun was very consistent, every shot I fired was within an inch or two of the bull, but a FOOT of drop?! My bow doesn't shoot with that kind of drop. It was the first time I have ever shot a percussion gun and I was a little apprehensive about hangfires. As it was, I had 4 caps out of 20-25 that misfired. Is that a fairly normal percentage?
Old 03-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Finally got to shoot

Personally you could have upped the powder charge. I shoot roundball and Triple Se7en with 80 grains, a bore button and a .015 patch with great results.

As for why the rifle was shooting so low, I have no idea. Check the screws on the rear sight as well as where it is positioned. I have a Renegade that has to be at the top of the slide to get it to hit. Whether that is the case with yours I could not say.

As for four caps out of 25 that failed to fire, did you try them a second time. Some times if too much crud builds round the nipple, the first hit will seat the cap and the second hit will fire it. This can be fixed with a stainless steel nipple and a little attention at the range to the condition of the nipple. A simple patch and wiping the crud off the nipple will help them to seat better. What brand of cap were you shooting. Personally if I were doing every thing right and had four of 25 fail to fire, that brand cap would not be used. Were they old caps? Were they Remington #11's? That is the one brand I have the most problem with.

So check the nipple. If it is not a hot shot nipple, then get one. They are not too expensive. Second I like a Magnum cap like a RWS 1075 or a CCI Magnum #11. I would look at the rear sight and see what kind of adjustment there is in it. You could try moving that up the ramp. You could also raise the powder charge a little, but you were getting good accuracy which is a sign of a good load.

If you have access to some other kind of powder like Goex, or Pyrodex, give them a try as well.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad, thanks. The caps are CCI No. 11. I don't find anything that says they are magnums. I bought them when I bought the gun, about a month ago, no telling how long they'd been on the shelf though. I did wipe the nipple off with Rusty Duck a couple of times while I was shooting, maybe not well enough though. The caps that didn't fire all expanded like a fired cap, they just didn't fire.

I know the shop I bought the gun at has T/C Hot Shot Musket nipples, are those what you are refering to? Will they take a different cap? Also do the CCI Magnums take a different nipple? The nipple I have is the one that came on the gun.

The rear sight is T/C's standard rear sight. I haven't messed with that yet. It has one screw for vertical adjust and one for horizontal. To adjust, up is up, down is down?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:10 PM

personally i never liked the #11 caps. I always switched to a musket nipple/cap and out of the 400+ shots i shot with that rifle, i only had 2 misfires with the musket cap. But do upgrade your nipple to the hotshot nipple if you want to keep the #11 caps.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I admit to being easily confused but how is it that - if you have to lower your aiming point to get on paper - a rifle is shooting low? HUH? WHUT?

And where is the "foot of drop" coming from?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

sorry if I'm using the wrong language underclocked. I got the foot of drop by figuring the gun to be factory sightedat a longer distance than what I could shoot today. Since I had to shoot under the target to get it to hit where I wanted, I figured I was lobbing it in and hitting the target at the top of the projectiles trajectory. I know bullets, er balls, may not work that way, but you are talking to an archer trying to fire a gun. I tend to think of all projectiles the way one thinks of arrows.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:40 PM

At 50 yards i think it being sighted in 3-4" high should put you close to dead on at 100 yards. If its a Foot high at 50 yards, That would probably be great out to 150+ lol.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: grizzly_hackle36

cayugad, thanks. The caps are CCI No. 11. I don't find anything that says they are magnums. I bought them when I bought the gun, about a month ago, no telling how long they'd been on the shelf though. I did wipe the nipple off with Rusty Duck a couple of times while I was shooting, maybe not well enough though. The caps that didn't fire all expanded like a fired cap, they just didn't fire.

I know the shop I bought the gun at has T/C Hot Shot Musket nipples, are those what you are refering to? Will they take a different cap? Also do the CCI Magnums take a different nipple? The nipple I have is the one that came on the gun.

The rear sight is T/C's standard rear sight. I haven't messed with that yet. It has one screw for vertical adjust and one for horizontal. To adjust, up is up, down is down?
[hr]

Since it is a Thompson Center, it probably came with a hot shot stainless steel nipple. The CCI standard caps are not the hottest ones out there, but I shoot them all the time without problems. So I really have no idea what is causing your igntion problems. If you have a store around you that has different powders it might be a good idea to try some, although I shoot Triple Se7en all the time without problems.

Were you swabbing the barrel perhaps? And when you swabbed, if you used straight Rusty Duck, while it will clean the fowling you then have to be extra careful about drying the barrel well. Also if you have any doubts after swabbing that the barrel might still be contaminated, pop a cap or two before you reload. It will clear the fire channel.

The CCI Magnums are still a #11 like you're currently using. They are just a little hotter then the standard CCI cap. I bought 1000 of them by a mistaken click of the mouse in the wrong place and have been shooting them. Like I said they seem to shoot fine for me out of my rifles.

Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to travel. If your gun shoots low then the sight goes up. If it shoots high then the sight goes down. etc. etc.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

I'll give the magnum caps a try. If they don't have them at Lunkers, I have two shops nearby with quite a bit of BP stuff that may carry them. I'm going to look around for someone that carries Goex and give that a try

Yes, I was swabbing between shots with Rusty Duck. I'd run one wet patch, then run dry patches until they came out dry, typically two, sometimes three.

I'm hoping that later this week I can get out to my cousin's farm to shoot. We have a 100 yd range set up there so I won't have to shoot short if I don't want to. I would have gone there today but we need to let that field dry a little before we go walking back in there. That should give me a more accurate idea of where I really am shooting and I can make all the proper adjustments. I really gotta say I appreciate everyone's input. I also gotta say, I really enjoyed getting out and shooting today. It's easy to see how you can get wrapped up in this. This may be somewhat weird, but I think my favorite part is the progression as you're shooting. You pull the trigger and actually see the hammer fall and that little charge just before the powder goes off, sort of a klik-CLICK-BOOM. I got a real kick out of it.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Swabbing with Rusty Duck might have been your problem. When I use anything other then pure 91% isopropyl alcohol for swabbing my sidelocks I often get hangfire or misfires. But in your case it was the cap that was causing the malfunction. So maybe it just needs to be broken in is all.

Good luck with your shooting and I will be looking forward to your reports.

And your right, shooting them is a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Finally got to shoot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.