Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
why  use 150 grains of powder? >

why use 150 grains of powder?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

why use 150 grains of powder?

Old 12-10-2002, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default why use 150 grains of powder?

I don't understand why so many shooters want to use 150 grains of powder in their m-loader. It must be they like the pain, I guess. Couldn't they get the same effect by making a 300 pound football player mad enough to beat the snot out of them. That would save on powder. Jim

Old 12-10-2002, 06:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-10-2002, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: why use 150 grains of powder?

OK, when I start seeing elephants in our Iowa cornfields, I'll step my loads up to 150 grains. Jim

Old 12-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I can understand what your saying. I shoot siidelocks, and not one of them is made to handle 150 grains. Two friends I shoot with have inlines made to handle the 150 grain range. Not one of them shoot that. We all shoot around 90 grains of Pyrodex Select. 100 grains of Pyrodex and the right bullet, along with placement should take most any animal I would ever hunt. The only thing I do like about the mag load rifles, is when I watch someone on the range load one up, and then touch it off. I can see that he is not comfortable shooting it. My inline friends told me they can get a better group shooting the lighter charges.. They are not for me, but a lot of people like them.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

150 grains is just a maximum, but too many people think that they MUST shoot that much to be effective, but usually sacrifice accuracy to squeeze another 100fps out of their ML. I work up my loads like one would for handloads in a CF rifle. I start at a reasonably low charge and work up in 5 grain increments until I find the fastest load without opening up the groups. I've found that 100-110 grains is about optimum with my DISC.

You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em!

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 12-11-2002, 04:25 AM

crazy isnt it instead of a rifle they trying to have a cannon,I do what Drift rider said ,but I have never used more than a 100 grain
Old 12-11-2002, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a couple of Hawkens that would no doubt stand a 150 grain charge. The Mountain Men considered a "standard" charge to be half the weight of the ball, and a "double charge", used for bear, buffalo, etc., was the weight of the ball-up to 230 grains of powder in a .54!! And, contrary to current belief, 19th century black powder was NOT WEAKER AND LESS EFFICIENT than the stuff available today! A lot of it was better!! However, most guns shoot more accurately with less than 150 grains, and a flatter trajectpory is of no value if your group size is measured in feet!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:37 PM

My brother-in-law spoke with the son of the owner of Knight and was told by him that the knight rifles are set up to shoot 3 50 grain pellets with light bullets 180 grains. We have shot alot of different loads through ours and our older Wolverines like 100 grains, but the newer guns (one disc rifle and one disc extreme) like max loads far better than anything else. We can get very good results down at 100 grains but the drop in bullet is about 5 inches more at 150 yards with 100 grains vs 150 grains.

They actually recomend 120 grains of loose powder or 150 grains of pellets. The more you put to them the less drop you get this is the reason alot of people load them up.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 12-12-2002, 04:14 AM

I use 100 grains of pellets, and I had my reservations on how a 250 grain Hornady XTP, in a sabot, would perform on whitetails. I had those reservations dashed last Saturday when I put one through a doe. 100 grains is what every other guy in my camp, who uses pellets in their ML, uses in their smokepole.

Old 12-12-2002, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

90 grains of 2F is plenty.

Quick Reply: why use 150 grains of powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.