Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bore light

Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default bore light

I have one of the inexpensive CVA bore lights and guess I'm getting what I deserve. I made the mistake of carrying it in my pocket most of a day recently and now it doesn't work. I don't now whether it turned on in my pocket killing the $3 battery or has bigger problems. It's a lousy design but for $6, what would one expect. Has anyone found a suitable "substitute" with perhaps a more definite on/off switch? Maybe an automotive or construction probe light or keychain light that will go down a .50 bore?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bore light

\Yeoman,
Not familiar w/ the CVA light but I have a traditions that retails for $10.00 andI like it otherthan the light is green. Weird! It slides down the bore. It has a screw you rotate @ the back to turn it on. I just take a bread wrapper tie and double it and twist aroound the screw to make sure the light won't come on in my tool box...
SHills
Old 02-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

SHills - looks like the same maker makes them for Traditions and CVA. When you take the bulb out of yours, is it mounted at an angle on the plastic base? Mine is and half the times I drop it down the barrel it turns off when it strikes bottom even tough I'm careful and angle the barrel to reduce the speed. I'm wondering if mine is partially defective and should be square at the base to make better contact. It's irritating and I think I need to bail on this one.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Take a .40 caliber or .30 caliber cartridge brass. Take some Brasso and polish that casing end to a high shine. Be sure and take some tape and wrap the end where you would load it from, to cover sharp edges. This can scratch your barrel if you leave it plain. Or you can take some simple tin foil and roll that into a ball SMALLER THEN THE BORE of the rifle you want to check. Make sure it is small enough to drop in and roll right back out. Just drop that down the bore, then hold a flashlight to the side of the muzzleand shine it down the bore. The light will reflect off the metal objectin the bore and illuminate the barrel for you to check for dirt, rust, etc. In a .54 caliber or bigger, go to Wal Mart and in the flash light department they sell a "pen light" flash light that is small enough to turn on and then slide right down the bore. The one I have will not make it down a .50 caliber but I am always on the look out ofr one smaller.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can find one of these somewhere in stock, the flexi-light might work well.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Holy Mackeral, I'm sitting here at the desk and remember that there is a lazer pointer around here. I open the desk, and don't find the pointer, but did find a light that clips on your pocket (or used to) and takes two AAA batteries. Happen to have two AAA's and lo and behold it works, and, after tearing off the pocket clip, it slips down the bore. It's a bit long at 6" but down a 32" barrel it's tough to see the last 6 anyhow. I have to attribute this find to good, clean living. Good to know the "reflecting ball in a pinch trick" Cayugad. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

My Traditions light went belly up for some reason. I bought the expensive battery only to find out that apparently the bulb is bad. Can't even think where I would go to find the bulb. I'm looking for an alternative also. Dave's idea on the brass reflector or maybe a nickle coated brass would be good. I have a lot of brass of all sizes around so I will try some. Let you know what works.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Dominant Buck

$4.99 at Cabelas
Hoppe's Bore Light

var BVisLoaded = false;
var masterItem = "IH228317";
var displayName = "Hoppe's Bore Light";
var categoryId = "search";
cmTagAlreadyDisplayed = "true";
function BVcheckLoadState(){
if(!BVisLoaded){
document.getElementById('BVFrame').src="";
var page = document.getElementById('BVFrame').src;
document.getElementById('BVFrame').src='http://reviews.cabelas.com/logging?page=' + page;
document.getElementById('BVReviewsContainer').inne rHTML = " ";
}
}

__USERID__
[/align][/align]

setTimeout("BVcheckLoadState()", 15000);

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/228317/submission.htm?bvpage=reviews.htm&action=A ddReview&format=embedded&user=__US ERID__&return=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com %2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Flinks%2Flink.jsp%3Fi d%3D0044106228317a%26type%3Dproduct%26cmCat%3Dsear ch%26returnPage%3Dsearch-results1.jsp%26QueryText%3DB2BLights%26N%3D4887%26 Ntk%3DProducts%26Ntx%3Dmode

2Bmatchall%26Nty%3D1%26Ntt%3DBore%2BLights%26noIma ge%3D0
[/align]

Overall Customer Ratin
3 out of 5

Read all reviews Write a review
[/align]Read Reviews(2)|Write a Review
[/align]Have you used this product?

Be the first towrite a review!

[/align][/align][/align]